First Fights

I was utterly nervous, when my first fight in the arena came up. My opponent was Surak, so it would not be dangerous at all. Surak had told me, that Versan picked, paired and grouped the fighters very wisely. Thus I knew, that this get-together had been arranged by him.

We started early in the morning. Today, several fights would be carried out in the arena and it should be over by one o'clock. From Versan's glider, Torg guided us from the parking lot to the arena. That arena really was a joke, I don't know why they even dared calling it an arena. The diameter of the arena was only 30m and the tribune was a mobile screw together metal rack structure with wooden boards as benches on it. The whole arena could seat maybe 800 people. There were two change rooms, but those were just tents. Change rooms/tents, where we put our diapers and the few pieces of armor on. Surak always corrected me, when I referred to our subligaculum as a diaper, but Vulcan logic, demanded me to call it a diaper, because that was what it was. I additionally had a scarf which I rapped around my breasts. Once we were finished, Surak lifted the fabric of the change room aside and entered into a gap within the tribune, which led into the arena. Under the tribune was a rack loaded with weapons.

Surak commanded: "Beware of the children."

I had no idea, what he meant, but I felt something wet on my shoulders. That moment, Surak yelled at two Klingon children above us, who were spiting on us through the gaps in the tribune and laughing out loud. Great start of my gladiator career, I thought! With sand from the ground, I tried to get rid of the slimy Klingon gift.

Surak got quickly back to business though: "Pick any sword of your liking. You might wanna take the longest and heaviest one. It will fatigue your arms quickly at the moment, but it will be a good training."

My eyes fell on a Klingon scimitar. I had never held one in my hands before and I was curious. I did a couple of moves with it and it felt good in my hands. Surak glowered at me: "The Klingon scimitar, the Batleth, is a very dangerous weapon in the hands of a skilled wielder. It would be my weapon of choice for a real fight. However, it requires significant training to wield it well and it is not suitable for a staged show fight. The best wielders move the scimitar only little, one could think they don't really do anything with it, while a sword always travels a long way from side to side. In a training fight, it requires an expert to judge the severity of a strike with the Batleth. Versan once had a highly recognized Gorn gladiator come to give us intensive training. He gave us basic training with the Batleth. As an introduction, he had the best gladiator of our school attack him. The Gorn just blocked that attack and then claimed, that he had won. Most certainly, we did not believe him, which he knew ahead of time. Therefore he showed us the video, taken by Versan, of that short interaction in slow motion. There we saw it, the Gorn blocked the other scimitar, side stepped while at the same time sliding the outer edge of his own scimitar across the neck of our best gladiator. His carotid artery would have been cut open in a real fight. That Gorn was a pro with the scimitar, he did not move much while keeping 5 of us at bay. The average audience cannot appreciate a staged scimitar fight. Thus take a sword." Surak picked the longest and probably heaviest bi-hander sword from the rack and handed it to me. It was longer than I was tall, probably over 1,7m. It was relatively heavy (I guess around 3kg), had two quillons, long and small, and to me seemed a craziness in the hands of a 168cm girl. The sword was blunt. With a sharp edge, it would have been a terrible weapon, but that way it was not even any good to slaughter a chicken. On top, the edges were protected by plastic.

Surak gestured me to move into the arena. A Klingon, probably the judge approached me and started shouting. I did not understand a bit of his gabble and looked puzzled. Surak entered into a discussion with him and even though I did not understand a single word, I realized, that it was about my scarf. Finally Surak addressed me: "He wants you to remove the scarf. It is against the rules. He is a Klingon, he does not follow my logic reasoning, unfortunately."