Chapter 3: Zoe

Zoe's eyes finally found two figures, one on the Hydra's many necks, and one trailing behind. Marie, being the trailer, caught sight of Zoe. Her expression seemed to be reading 'are you out of your mind?'

Maybe I am, Zoe thought. She was stupid. Stupid, stupid, stupid. First she got freaked out by a spider and tumbled down a mudslide, Got her favorite T-Shirt dirty(Don't get her wrong. She didn't care about her clothes, but this was very much different. She'd been hoping to set a good impression of the camp. Well, that wasn't going to happen) and then her ankle just had to get sprained and now she was facing a vicious, blood thirsty, eight-headed monster.

She should have stayed back. She should have found a way to contact the camp. There was no way she could survive a hydra attack with a sprained and possibly broken ankle.

Zoe couldn't believe it. A hydra. Of course, based on her parent's stories, she knew they existed, but never had she dreamed of meeting one in real life. She wasn't sure whether to be terrified or excited, though she was most certainly leaning toward the terrified. A part of Zoe was laughing, telling her that she was dreaming, and that she would wake up any minute now. She never sprained her ankle. She never met Marie or Silena. She never saw a hydra. It was all a dreamlike nightmare. She would open her eyes and find herself in the comfort of her book-covered, clean, cozy bedroom anytime now.

Zoe just about thought she'd gone insane with shock when Silena's sharp voice snapped her out of it.

"Zoe!"

Zoe gasped. She wasn't dreaming. The pain in her ankle was very, very real and it hurt. So did Silena's glare.

"H-hydra," Zoe said, dazed from shock and pain.

"What?!" Silena demanded. "Zoe—-are you alright?"

Zoe simply pointed behind Silena. Silena whipped around and screamed, dropping her knife. She now looked just as horrified and shocked as Zoe.

The hydra turned its attention from Zoe to Silena, it's yellow eyes fixing on her.

Marie took advantage of the situation and fired her arrow, which hit one of the Hydra's necks (thankfully not the one with Rose on it). The Hydra howled in pain.

"Rose!" Silena yelled, unfreezing.

Zoe could barely make out Rose. Her chocolate brown waves were a mess, and she was holding on for dear life. Rose was screaming insults at the hydra, and for some reason, she was banging its head with a hammer, which didn't seem to be very effective. At Silena's call, Rose looked up and her jaw dropped. She stared at Zoe as if she couldn't believe what she was seeing, her dark eyes moving to her wrapped ankle. She seemed to find this very intriguing.

Zoe realized that Silena had closed her eyes, her brows furrowed. She looked as if she was concentrating.

Then it was happening so fast, Zoe couldn't warn her. The Hydra's tail swished toward a distracted Marie.

Then suddenly, Silena screamed, "MISS!" in such a loud voice that Zoe almost felt her eardrums shatter.

The hydra turned, all attention once again on Silena. Zoe was suddenly focused on Silena too. So was Marie. Rose was jerkily lifted off the hydra's neck as if by magic, and landed with a hard thump on the ground. Zoe stared in amazement as Rose stood up, stumbled a bit, and frowned at their direction.

"Ow," Rose complained. "Next time, softer,"

Silena just laughed nervously, swaying slightly, and rushed to her aid.

Marie, Zoe saw, was amazing. She'd never seen her fight like that. Of course, she'd never seen her fight at all, but this was simply astounding. Marie slashed with her sword with shocking speed and fired her arrows with deadly accuracy that Zoe was sure not even the Apollo campers could do.