Chapter 14: Silena

A scream built in Silena's throat as the monster who was once Kelli shoved her away and lunged at Zoe. Zoe shrieked, and Laura cried out. But Zoe had apparently had a few tricks up her sleeve. Kelli froze, her fangs inches from Zoe's face. Then she crumbled into dust.

Zoe sat there, her face white, holding her long bronze knife in front of her. She looked as if she was in shock. Mortals all around them seemed to have noticed nothing.

"W–what just happened?' Bianca asked. She looked paler than usual. Marie and Rose looked rather white, too.

"Somehow, I believed every word she told me," Marie whispered. "Gods, Silena, if you weren't there—"

"Charmspeak,' Silena said grimly, her eyes closed. She herself was shaken by the sudden attack. If her charmspeak hadn't worked when it did—- "Whatever she was, she knew charmspeak,"

"Empousa," Zoe said in a tiny voice. "That's what she was. An Empousa. And that particular one—-my mother told me about her, apparently my father and she knew her. Cora was right, a lot of these monsters recognize us for our parents,"

Rose suddenly squeaked in a very un-Rose-like way. "Uh–guys—?"

"What?" Bianca asked her, her voice rather cool. Silena figured she still hadn't forgiven her.

"Look," Silena poked her head out and opened her eyes. Another flight attendant was walking toward them.

"You think that's—one of them, too?" Laura whispered in her ear. Silena shrugged.

"Look," Rose said again, pointing the other direction. Another flight attendant was strolling toward them. Both had huge, false smiles on their faces

"They're everywhere," Marie said quietly, and Silena realized that she was right. Flight attendants were everywhere. They were surrounded.

"Be ready," Zoe warned. Her hands were closed tight around her knife. Silena pulled out her own, her eyes scanning each young woman. "They might attack any minute,"

"Or they might just be regular flight attendants,' Laura said hopefully. "I mean, this menu does have cheese enchiladas—"

And then the Flight attendants did attack. In one swift moment, they were all hissing, ugly she-demons with snake hair and fangs. Silena fougt down a twinge of terror as a demon lady jumped toward her. Silena kicked her in the face, and stabbed her shoulder. She disintegrated into yellow dust.

"Ugh. These were my new jeans," Silena said, disgusted, as she dusted empousa dust off her clothes.

"Yeah! Let's worry about your jeans now, shall we!?" Rose yelled. She banged an empousa on the head with a hammer. Though it didn't do much, the empousa definitely looked dazed. Despite their mis-matched legs, the empousa sure were fast."Zo, do you know anything else about these donkey ladies!?"

"They have charmspeak, like Silena said!" Zoe yelled back. "And they usually use it to attract boys before attacking them and feeding on their blood and—-"

"Point taken! But why are they so desperate to turn us into legacy pudding? We're not boys the last time I checked!"

"That, I don't know,"

Silena thought they could very well handle a few empousa at the rate they were going. Until more came along. Silena immediately regretted jinxing their luck.

"Where are these new ones coming from!?" She asked, as she blasted another one with wind.

"I don't know, but I feel the ones we've killed. They're definitely dead," Bianca said with a frown after slicing down another donkey girl.