Chapter 29: Rose

The first thing Rose felt when she came around again was considerable pain. She hazily blinked and wondered where she was—-before it all came crashing down on her.

Cora had callen herself the beast.

Her mind felt like it was thrown in a blender. Her whole body ached. Then she realized why. She was tied head-to-toe in thick black ropes. Even her mouth was tied up—which was sad because Rose loved talking.

"Oh good. You're back. FInally, you puny legacies take so long to regain consciousness," Cora—-The beast, Barny, whatever-—stood in front of her. She had an evil smile on her face which went really well with her glowing green eyes.

Rose heard a muffled sound next to her. She tried her best to turn around and found Silena tied up just like her in another cage. Her blue eyes were wide with terror. She seemed to be trying to tell Rose something.

"Oh fine. I'll let you talk. Just you, though. I can't have any–ah–charmspeak right now," Cora/BArny snapped her fingers and Rose's gag disappeared.

Rose gasped. Her lips felt dry and cracked. She could barely move them, but she managed to say, "Well, this has been very fun. Can we go now?"

Cora/Barny scowled. "Seriously?! This isn't supposed to be fun!"

"Listen, can you at least explain before you kill us?" Rose asked in her sweetest voice. Her mind started calculating everything about the cages. If she could just find a way to unlock them—"See, I don't get why Rachel DAre's daughter would turn into a cloak-wearing glowing maniac–"

Cora/Barny growled in frustration. "Gods, you're so annoying! I'm not Cora DAre for god's sake! Do I look like a mortal!? She's Cora Dare!!" She pointed to the cage with the unconscious girl. Horrible realization settles in Rose's stomach. "So–"

"Finally! It took you all long enough to figure it out," Cora/BArny smiled again and waved her hand. Rose waited to be gagged again, but instead, Cora/Barny changed.

Her hair seemed to lighten and braid itself as it slowly grew in length. HEr freckles disappeared. Her complexion lightened until she was almost as pale as Bianca. Only her eyes didn't change. They continued to glow bright poison green.

"I am the beast. The terror of all beings. Nothing can stop me."

Only, she looked like a normal fifteen-year-old girl. If her eyes weren't glowing, Rose could have mistaken her for one of the popular girls at school. A total dumb blondie.

"So your name is 'The Beast"? Wow, your parents must have spent ages working on that," Rose commented. "What are you, a mortal?" She felt something under her left foot. Maybe a button, or something even better.

"That's not my name. My name is–'' She hesitated. "It's none of your business. And I'm a demigod, you idiot. A daughter of Zeus,"

This time, Rose's attention was fully on the mystery girl/beast. "What?"

"I'm not proud of it, of course. The gods are horrible. Twice, they were almost defeated, but other STUPID demigods helped them! Tell me, Rose, what have the gods ever done for you?! BUt never mind that–I've devoted my life to working for evil. For my master. I will be rewarded greatly–"

"IS your name Lisa?" Rose interjected. The girl's smile faded. "How–how did you–"
"It's your necklace," Rose pointed out. "It says your name in gold,"

Next to her, Silena made a snorting sound.

The girl, Lisa apparently, looked down at her necklace. She growled angrily and tucked it inside her cloak. Rose noticed that she seemed to treat it with care.