Chapter 16: Marie

Marie gripped her bow tightly as the wave rose higher and higher. She'd seen what had happened with the hydra, and she did not wish for that to happen again.

Laura yelped, and stumbled backwards.

"Holy Hephaestus," Rose muttered, clutching her hammer as if for dear life.

Nella nodded, as if this was all normal.

"Nella, do you know anything about this?" Silena demanded.

"Beast will control Zoe," Nella answered, her brown eyes now on Silena. "Legacies do not see it,"

"You mean Zoe's being possessed?" Bianca asked, eyeing the forming wave.

"But by whom?" Silena asked

"By the beast," Marie felt numb. "We should've known—"

"Yes," All of them jumped, except Nella, who was grooming her wings. Zoe had spoken, but it wasn't her voice. "You all are dumber than I thought," She laughed in a very un-Zoe-like way.

Rose frowned. "The beast is a girl?"

The worst part? Marie recognized the voice too well. But she couldn't remember who it belonged to. It was as if the information was running away from her on purpose, or, somehow, it was being taken away from her.

Marie exchanged frowns with Bianca and Silena. By their faces, they recognized the voice as well. Laura was oddly still. And Rose was building a helicopter out of pipe cleaners, though her eyes were fixed on Zoe.

Zoe sighed. "You guys have no idea, do you? No, it's all part of the plan. So you defeated my wolves. Of course, I let that happen. You escaped my empousai. Alright, sure. I never trusted those donkey ladies anyway. My, you even managed to find a cure for my poison," She eyed Bianca distastefully. Bianca frowned, looking confused.

"But never mind that. You'll never win. You'll be dead far before you reach your destination," Zoe smiled evilly. The wave was now getting really big.

"Hmm, perhaps I should kill you now, before—-" Before Zoe could finish, Rose stepped forward and banged her on the head with her hammer. Zoe crumbled onto the floor.

"Rose!" Marie chided, walking toward Zoe to examine her.

Rose shrugged. "Sorry. She was getting a teensy bit annoying,"

"Uhhhh, guys?" Silena asked nervously. She was pointing to the wave. It looked just about ready to crash.

"Oh, shoot," Marie muttered. And the wave collapsed.

It wasn't as bad as Marie thought. It was worse.

The force shoved her away into a bush full of thorns. The water squeezed the air out of her. Bleeding and bruised, Marie gasped as the water washed away back into the creek.

All of the others weren't in any better shape. Except Zoe. The water seemed to have awakened her. And she was completely dry.

"Wh–what–" Zoe stammered. Much to Marie's relief, her eyes were back to their original sea-green.

"Nothing," Rose said, spitting a leaf out of her mouth and sitting up. "Nothing at all,"

They set up camp in a dazed sort of way. None of them could believe what had happened, Zoe especially. She didn't even spray her usual amount of peppermint around the campsite, which really shocked Rose.

Marie wished she could comfort her, but she had her own problems to worry about. The moment she stepped into the tent, a small gold nugget popped out of the muddy floor. Marie quickly pocketed it, and looked around, hoping no one had noticed.