Chapter 5: Silena

"What are you doing!? You'll wake the other campers!" The figure hissed. Her voice sounded feminine and young, perhaps a few years older than Silena, who stared in utter disbelief. Realizing that her jaw was still hanging open, she quickly shut it.

"What—who—-"

The mystery girl removed her hood, and Silena gasped. It was the girl she'd seen in her knife. But it couldn't be. The woman in her vision looked much older than this girl. But the resemblance was too much. They had the same jade green eyes, the same freckled face. The only difference was that this girl's eyes did not glow creepily, much to Silena's relief.

"Cora Dare," The girl held out her hand, crossing the room in a few strides, her long black cloak billowing behind her. Silena tentatively shook it, not removing her eyes from the mystery girl.

"Aren't you—- I know you. You live here in Camp, don't you? But you're not a demigod—-"

Cora shook her head. "I'm mortal. But that's not important. I know you too, Silena Grace, and I need your help,"

"My help?" Silena asked, now thoroughly lost.

"Yes, your help," She pointed swiftly at katoptris, which was lying untouched on the wooden floor. "You see visions in there, don't you?"

"Yes. I mean, I did, I think so. But how—--"

"Don't be silly, Silena, everyone knows your mother and her knife which once belonged to Helen of Troy. Now, what did you see? I want you to recite it exactly,"

"And why should I do that?" Silena asked with narrowed eyes. This was getting stranger and stranger.

"Because we're in this together," Cora said quietly. "And that woman you saw—--that was my mother,"

Silena gaped at her. "But—-how—your mother—Rachel Dare—?"

"I had a dream, a vision," Cora interrupted. "The same vision you saw in the knife. I need you to tell me exactly what you saw to confirm it,"

Completely confused and wondering if this was really happening, Silena recited exactly what she saw and heard. Cora was a good listener. When she finished, the red-headed girl had her lips pursed tightly together, looking troubled.

"What she said—--my mother—--that was a prophecy. I knew it," Cora looked up at Silena. "Hmmm. Come with me. Now,"

"What? Where? Why?" Silena asked, startled by this sudden command.

"I'll explain everything. Just hurry,"

"But I—-it's—--"

"Just come on!"

Silena bit her lip in annoyance. Who was this girl to boss her around? But then, she sounded really urgent. Maybe this was important. Or it could be a trap. Silena decided to lean toward the important part.

"I'll come," Silena said slowly. "But I want to know what this is about,"

"I'll tell you everything," Cora promised, her voice getting more and more urgent by the second. She kept glancing nervously out the glass window. "I promise. Come on, fast. I don't want to be seen,"

"Why?" Silena asked nervously, looking up from pulling on her boots.

"I'll tell you later,"
Silena grumbled, and stood up to pull on her brown, leather belt. She paused to look down at her knife, still lying on the ground. She swooped down and picked it up, slipping it in her belt without a look at it.

"I'm ready," Silena told the older girl. Cora nodded stiffly. "Follow me."

She slipped quietly out the half-open door. Silena hesitated for a second, then followed.