Chapter 23: Zoe

Zoe almost immediately regretted walking into the town. Firstly, it smelled horrible. Secondly, it was dark and musty and there was nobody in sight. Not exactly a good sign.

"I'm sure there's food somewhere," Cora said, nervously looking around.

"There better be," Rose groaned, hugging her stomach.

"For once, I agree with Rose," Bianca muttered.

Zoe resisted the urge to throw up as she stepped carefully over a clump of dog poop. Brilliant.

"This place is horrible," Silena moaned. She wailed as she slipped on something slimy.

"Well. On the bright side, we're not drowning anymore," Laura said nervously.

Zoe wished they were drowning.

"Hold on," Cora stopped suddenly. She was looking at a musty old coffee shop with a frown on her face. "Do you guys see that?"

"See what?" Marie asked, tying her cinnamon curls in a ponytail.

Cora blinked. "You guys don't see it?"

Zoe exchanged a glance with the other four. "Uh, no,"

"Wait here," Cora stuck her sword in her belt. "I'll be right back,"

"Hold on, where are you going?" Rose protested.

"Stay here," And she sprinted off. Zoe grunted and crossed her arms. This was getting old.

"And so they waited," Rose said dramatically, sitting cross-legged on the floor. She immediately started tinkering with something.

"Ugh, can't we go somewhere else—-Hey!"

Silena had backed up against a large, dead tree. She was surrounded by a few birds who seemed to be clicking their beaks at her. More of them flew over to sit on the tree.

"Birds," Rose scoffed. "Now you're scared of birds?"

"No! You don't get it! Look at their beaks! Ow!"

Zoe realized what SIlena was talking about. The birds were small, but their beaks were razor-sharp.

"Ow!!!" Silena wailed. "Get them off me!" The tree seemed to be spotted with the little creatures now.

"Hold on, I'm coming," Marie pulled out her bow and walked toward the birds. She suddenly shrieked and fell backwards. Then she disappeared.

"Marie!" Zoe yelled, and charged toward the now very big mass of birds. Looking back on it, it was probably the stupidest thing she'd ever done. Her whole body felt like it was being poked constantly by sharp knives. It was honestly horrible. She was just about to give up the fight when someone grabbed her upper arm and dragged her away.

The hand let go of her and Zoe found herself lying face-down on the concrete floor. Her new T-shirt from Lotus Hotel was shredded. Her backpack looked as if it had taken a trip through a blender.

Silena was right next to her. She didn't look much better.

"Your welcome," Rose grumbled. Both she and Bianca looked unaffected. Zoe guessed that was because they didn't throw themselves in the middle of blood-thirsty birds.

"Where's Marie?" Zoe asked, sitting up only to groan in pain.

"Here," Rose grinned and Zoe spotted a brown, winded weasel in her arms. The weasel looked up at Rose rather reproachfully before turning back into a twelve-year-old girl. Rose yelped and scrambled out of the way.

"Hold on." Bianca knelt down next to Zoe and placed her hand on her forehead. She began to chant something, and Zoe's cuts disappeared. Bianca did the same for Silena and Marie. In the end, she looked pale. Zoe realized that the healing must be draining her energy. They couldn't have Bianca passing out now.