Chapter 31: Bianca

Bianca thought it would be easy. It wasn't.

Shadow-traveling was always exhausting, but this was different. She felt kike she might slip at any step, and it was terrifying.

Bianca's feet hit solid ground and she fell to her knees. The whole world was spinning.

I can't pass out now, She told herself. Her friends were counting on her.

She forced herself to look up. She had landed on another rock, this one much much smaller. The water around her was slowly rising. Her eyes found the small doorway where she, Zoe and Marie had entered from.

She had to close it, or else she would be swallowed by the water.

She pushed herself up to her feet and almost staggered into the water. One drop was all it would take.

How could she get to the door? She could try shadow traveling, but the energy involved—

Lethe water suddenly splashed in front of ehr. SHe barely had time to cry out and jump backwards. The water seemed to have spit someone out.

"Zoe!?" Bianca yelped.

Zoe pushed herself up and groaned. She was paper-white and shivering madly. Her hair was a mess and her clothes were ripped. Bianca understood healing enough to know that Zoe needed help now.

She quickly bent down next to Zoe and started the process. She murmured the same chant to Apollo, hoping he would answer just one more time. Thankfully, the god didn't let her down.

Bianca stood up and almost fell down again. She steadied herself, taking deep breaths. She would not pass out now.

"Bi?" Zoe had sat up. Her face looked less pale and she wasn't shivering, but she still looked shaken up. She was nibbling on the ambrosia cube Bianca had given her. "You ok?"

Bianca tried for a smile. "The girl who controlled a river from the underworld, fell into the water and came up again, asking me if I'm ok?"

"I was so stupid to summon the waters of Lethe. It was too much for me and way too dangerous," Zoe said. "But I wouldn't be like this if it weren't for you. You healed me."

"Right." Bianca forced herself to her feet, trying to hide her relieved smile with a scowl. "You have some explaining to do."

Zoe's expression darkened. "She's not gone, Bianca. I held her off as long as I could, but the water doesn't affect her anymore than it affects me. I have to concentrate to stay dry. She doesn't."

Bianca's anger, which had briefly gone away, came back. Her hands clenched into fists. "Why can't she just die? It isn't fair." But Bianca knew she was telling the truth. SHe could sense Lisa's death when it came.

"The world isn't fair, Bianca." Zoe said quietly. She looked back. "Did you give the others the pearls?"
Bianca nodded, trying to keep her fury at a certain level. She told Zoe everything that had happened after she fell into the water.

"Good." Zoe said, looking relieved. "But you should have gone with them, Bianca."

Bianca glared at her. "Right. ANd leave you here to die?"

Zoe smiled. "You would care if I die?"

Bianca rolled her eyes. Truthfully, she would care if any of the others died. She couldn't stand that, but of course she didn't say that out loud. "Come on, bossy pants. We have to get out of here."

Zoe crossed her arms. "You are not mentioning that name in front of the others. Rose and Silena would never leave me alone."

Zoe managed to raise the waters one more time with Bianca's special chewing gum that Rose loved so much because it tasted like dirt. They made it to the small door.