xvii. 𝐜𝐡𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐦𝐚𝐬 𝐬𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐢𝐚𝐥

"Would you calm down? It's just El

"Would you calm down? It's just El." Wesley ranted on, looking over the desk at his panicking brother. They'd been driving to see the Byers for Christmas, their parents taking their anniversary trip and Mr Clarke agreeing to watch his nephews. Between the three of them, they kept it a secret that they weren't staying in Hawkins. Now, they stopped at the mall a few towns over. Christmas music played from the record player, the specific store they went into decorated for Christmas.

"Exactly. 'Just El' is difficult to decide what to shop for." Peter gave a knowing look, pulling at the scarf around his neck slightly to loosen it. "The walls are closing in on me."

"Jesus Christ." Wesley huffed as he circled the counter. "You're such a girl. You should know what girls like."

"I do know what girls like. But El isn't just a girl, okay? She's my girl." Peter gave a knowing look, a minor point of his finger. "I mean, I can just bring a box of eggos and she'd be happy, you know? But I gotta make it memorable, like, she can keep it with her."

Their eyes danced down at the glass, looking at all the jewelry. Wesley sighed when Peter started to talk. "She wouldn't like any of this."

"Oh my god, Peter." Wesley groaned as he walked through the store.

"You boys almost ready?" Mr.Clarke walked toward the pair, looking at his watch. "We should beat traffic if we leave soon."

"Peters being a baby." Wesley rolled his eyes, holding up his bags. "I've been ready. He's too busy having a heart attack to pick anything out."

"You're a heart attack." Peter argued with him with a minor glare. "Will, Jonathan, and Joyce are easy to get stuff for. El is El, she's wild."

"You didn't like any of the pretty bracelets?" Mr Clarke followed his nephew toward the candles. "Or the candles?"

"She could knock it over and set her house on fire." Peter pointed out, putting the candle away. "Maybe she'd like a scarf. Or some socks. Keep her feet warm, you know?"

"Okay, let's look at socks." Scott grinned, walking with him. Wesley huffed, adjusting the bags on his arms and following after he two.

"William!" Wesley grinned as the door opened. "I like the new hair!"

Will hugged him, the snow falling outside. "I didn't know you were coming!"

"I wanted to make it a surprise." Joyce grinned as she came to the door, smiling as Wesley greeted her with a hug. "Hi, sweetie. Where's your-"

She stopped, seeing Peter falling in the snow when he tripped over his suitcase. Wesley followed her gaze. "So, he kinda did something insane."

Will gave a worried look.

"Does he need help?" Joyce gave a worried look, seeing Peter struggling in the backseat now. Scott got his suitcase with his own bag, heading toward the Byers new house. "Scott, thanks so much for coming."