xxiii. 𝐌𝐲 𝐆𝐢𝐫𝐥

Peter left a note for his friends saying he'd be back, needing to take care of something on his own

Peter left a note for his friends saying he'd be back, needing to take care of something on his own. He left early that morning to go to the public library, finally showing up at his house nearly two hours later. He held the books in his hands, using the key around his neck to open the door. The faint, gentle humming of his Moms humming filled his ears. It brought a smile onto his face, remembering how she'd do it when he was little and got hurt at soccer games.

"Mom." he poked his head around the corner.

"Peter!" he gasped, nearly dropping the whole thing of salt. "You scared me. What are you doing home already? I thought you were gonna wait to come home until spring break was over."

"I decided to come home with the team." he nodded, walking a little more into the kitchen and eyeing the bake goods she'd been mixing. "Another bake sale?"

"Your father made another deal." she gave a little smile. "Wanted to welcome his workers with mini apple pies."

Peter smiled, his eyes started to water. "They'll like that."

"Aw, what's wrong, baby?" Darcy wipped her hands on her apron and cupped his face. "Did something happen?"

"No." he tried to keep it together, her finger rubbed across his scar. Unlike how he did with El, he stayed still. "I just...I wanted to come see you before I leave."

"Where are you headed?" some of her red hair fell into her eyes, taking one hand off his face to push it back.

"Steves." he lied to her. "I ugh, I'm not sure how long i'll be."

"Tell that cousin of yours he needs to get his butt over here one day soon." she gave him a knowingly look, glancing down at the stack of books in his arms. "What are those for?"

Peter hesitated, placing them on the counter. His eyes looked hard at hers and saw the makeup covering the bruise on her left cheek bone. "I think you should give them a look."

He leaned in and hugged her, his arms tightening around her with his head pushed into her neck. Darcy rubbed his back, soaking up what she could of the affectionate side he rarely was able or wanted to show with her. They pulled back as she cupped his face. "My strong boy."

"You can be strong too." he whispered, because his voice would have cracked if he hadn't. "I have to go now."

"I'll see you when you want to come home." she nodded. Peter felt his heart go into his stomach, because he didn't know how true that would be. He turned his back, walking through his house. He wasn't sure if he'd ever see it again, wasn't sure if he'd ever run through the house because Wesley threatened to leave him if he didn't hurry, wasn't sure if he'd ever be able to sneak out to hang out with Mike on Wednesdays and Max on Saturdays. He wasn't sure of anything, but he was sure of wanting his Mom to be okay.

When Darcy heard the door shut, she flipped the first book opened and stared at the Domestic Violence stories from woman all over the world.