21

today was the day of the candle ceremony, many candles stood outside on the town decorating houses,window sills,streets and much more.
"oh i'm so excited!" mirabel squealed while the two of us walked around town.
"you've done this many times?" i frowned.
"yeah but it always looks so pretty though!" she shrugged.

"who are you taking?" she asked, i tilted my head "what do you mean?" i asked.
"like who are you taking to see the ceremony?" she crossed her arms as we continued our walk.
"oh," i said "maybe miguel or my mom." i shrugged, mirabel gave me a weird look as if i had said something offensive.
"seriously?" she asked "you could use this as an opportunity for a date, you know...stuff like that!" she exclaimed.

"well mariano is actually planning to propose to dolores tonight." i shrugged, mirabel gasped.
"que chimba!" she mumbled "where?" she asked.
"in the center of town i believe." i said, mirabel squealed.
"he's such a show off." i chuckled.
"what?" said mirabel "it's not showing off it's being romantic!" she whined, i smiled at her reaction.

"well it makes me uncomfortable." i sighed, mirabel looked over at me.
"really?" i nodded.
"everyone's looking at you expecting you to say yes, which will just make you feel a bit pressured into neither humiliate a person or accept their proposal." i hugged myself while thinking about it.
"good point." mirable shrugged but then froze in place as if she had seen a ghost.

i followed her gaze and saw the guy she was talking to the other day, his long black hair moving around as he spoke with some of his friends. his hazel eyes shimmering within the light of the sun.
mirabel gulped while her face slowly turned into a tomato, i smirked "is he going with you?" i asked making her jump slightly.
"no!" she said.
"alright." i shrugged "what's his name though?" i turned to her.
"júlio." she sighed dreamfully.

i sighed "and you say you don't like him." i joked.
"oh yeah?" she smirked "and what about you and camilo?" she leaned her face closer to mine.
"what about us?" i gave her a blank look, she bit her lip and looked away "nevermind." she sighed and pulled me wit her to continue our little walk.

after a while we came back home and prepared ourselves for the ceremony that was about to come, the madrigals were in their rooms getting dressed up while my family prepared themselves mentally—especially my dad.
"ok if any of you gets lost just blow on the whistle!" said dad handing us our own whistles, miguel groaned.
"what are we? fucking dogs or something?" he asked looking highly offended.

dad hit him in the head "olha a linguagem menino(watch the language kid)!" said dad.
"sorry damn." miguel groaned.
we weren't wearing anything too fancy, my mom wore a nice dark blue dress with see through sleeves with her shoulders exposed, my dad wore a nice black jacket with a blue buttoned up shirt that was the same colour as my mom's dress and black pants alongside his shiniest shoes, meanwhile miguel didn't give a fuck and just wore a plain white buttoned shirt with brown pants. i just wore a white buttoned shirt with a long dark blue skirt on top.

"ok is everyone ready?" asked mom fixing up her hair into a bun.
"you look so pretty darling." said dad pulling my mom closer to him by the waist.
"aw thank you baby." my mom grinned while giving him a soft peck on the lips "now let's go." she looked over at my brother and i, miguel just shrugged and put his hands on his pockets.
"come on familia let's go!" we heard abuela call out from outside our room.
"that's our queue!" my mom squealed.

we all got out of the house and were headed towards the town as sunrise was about to happen, i noticed camilo walking up to me not wearing his ruana this time.
"looking fresh andrade." he smirked while walking next to me.
"well thank you madrigal." i winked receiving a chuckle from the boy "you look good without the ruana." i looked at him up and down getting him off-guard.
"yo-you really think so?" he said, his voice slightly cracking making him clear his throat "you think so?" he said trying to ignore his voice crack.

i giggled "cut it off!" he said covering his flushed face.
"sorry." i smiled at him, he looked away a bit embarrassed.
"stop flirting you two." said miguel glaring at us, i stuck my tongue out at him receiving the same treatment.
"fucking hate that guy." i mumbled getting a glare from miguel.

we arrived at the town right at sunrise and noticed the entire town being lit by the candles and nicely decorated lanterns.
"i'll get going." i began to walk away.
"meeting a friend?" asked camilo putting his hand on his pockets.
"sort of." i shrugged, we waved at each other before i rushed towards the center of town.

i waited for dolores to come, some people would pass by me and wave while holding little candles as i continued to wait for neither dolores or her new husband.
"did she get lost or something?" i mumbled to myself while looking around for her, that's when i saw them in a corner talking and laughing. i frowned.
"hola chula." i heard camilo talk behind me, i turned to face him.

"what are you doing here?" i say walking up to him, he was holding a pair of candles in his hands.
"well i saw you here all alone so i wanted to check if you needed company." he shrugged.
"i got stood up." i sighed looking at the couple, camilo noticed and chuckled.
"they're bullies don't mind them." he said handing me one of the candles.
"pretty." i said looking into the candle's flame.

"come on let's ditch this place." he said holding my hand and pulling me with him.
"where are we going?" i asked letting him lead me away from the town.
we walked up to a small hill not that far from town and the crowd of people, the two of us sat down leaning our backs against a tree.
i smiled while looking at the view of the town and the sunrise that was ending while camilo continued to hold my hand softly.

"why were you waiting for dolores?" asked camilo looking over at me.
"mariano wanted to propose to her but i guess plans changed." i sighed, camilo squeezed my hand making me feel a bit better.
"gosh they're eating eachother like dogs." said camilo while frowning.
"some say that's how love is." i shrugged.
"love is weird." he joked making me chuckle.