37

"hola maria, hola miguel." said antonio giving us a little wave.
"hey there buddy," said miguel "what are you up to?" he asked crouching to be st eye level with antonio.
"the rats are helping me decorate." said the young boy, we looked down and spotted the rats placing some balloons and party flags on the bits of furniture that stood by the balcony.

"never knew vermins could be so good at decorating." miguel smirked, all of the rats stared down at him, he looked away awkwardly letting the rats continue their work.
"lila could you please get me a snack?" antonio looked at the tucan that rested on his shoulder, the bird tweked and flew down towards the kitchen.
we could hear our dad shriek by its presence "oh look, i think that's were you got your manliness from." i winked at miguel receiving a glare in return.

"maria could you and miguel feed leonardo? i forgot to feed him." he asked.
"sure." miguel shrugged.
"where's leonardo?" i asked looking around.
"he's in my room." he pointed at his glowing door "but don't feed him too much." antonio warned "he'll get a tummy ache." he whispered as if it was a dark secret being spoiled.

"got it." miguel gave him a thumbs and we walked towards the door.
"sleeping in here must be horrible." said miguel as we stared up at the giant tree in the room.
"why?" i frowned.
"just look at the zoo he has!" he pointed at the wild animals that lived inside.
"good point," i sighed.
"so," miguel walked closer to the tree.
"which one do you think it's leonardo?" he turned to face me, my eyes widened "what?" he tilted hid head before following my gaze.

miguel shrieked and hid behind me once he noticed a giant leopard licking its lips at us.
"you're telling me that's leonardo?!" miguel shouted in fear.
"i mean he does bring him for breakfast time to time." i gulped.
"is he vegan...?" miguel whispered, i shrugged.
"you're not going to hurt us right?" i asked, the leopard took a whiff of our scents letting it's pupils grow bigger like a gecko's.

we let out a sigh of relief and let the leopard lean itself against my leg.
"so what does he eat?" asked miguel, i looked around and spotted a piece of meat on a plate in the desk that stood by the door.
"it's by the door" i pointed, miguel ran back and came back to us with the piece of meat in his hands.
"bon appetit little kitty." he then threw the piece of at the leopard letting it devour the meat in a matter of minutes.
"that's it?" i asked, miguel nodded "ok let's see what antonio needs now." i sighed and followed behind miguel to look for the little boy.

"hola maria!" right when were about to leave the room mirabel stood in the way wearing a giant grin.
"hey?" i frowned.
"what's up?" she asked whilst leaning against the door frame.
"we're good?" said miguel also noticing her strange behaviour.
"cool cool." she nodded.
"ok we'll just-"
"right come with me!" mirabel quickly grabbed my arm and pulled me with her towards the exit of the house.

"where are we going?!" i asked whilst she pulled me towards a forest.
"you'll love it." she gave me a soft smile, i frowned.
"here we are!" she said, we stopped in the middle of the forest where only trees and green bushes were visible.
"and this is?" i asked while looking around, i noticed that mirabel was no longer with me "mirabel?" i called out.

"where did she go?" i frowned, suddenly mirabel was now behind me.
"oh there you are." i said walking over to her, she placed her hands to cover my eyes and led me to somewhere.
"i swear if you're trying to kill me i-" she then took her hands away, revealing a giant river with butterflies flapping their yellow wings around with a little picnic cloth on the meadow and a little cupcake on top of a plate with a little candle on it.

"why did you-" i turned to mirabel and saw her shifting into camilo, i jumped a little "oh." i managed, the boy in yellow chuckled.
"surprise!" he gave me little jazz hands.
"what's this for?" i asked looking over at the little picnic he set.
camilo grabbed my hand and led me towards it "it's your birthday." he smiled making me frown "you have to celebrate somehow." he shrugged.

he sat down on top of the red cloth "you know I don't-"
"just sit down." he patted on the spot in front of him, i took a deep breath and did what he said.
"i appreciate the effort but you didn't have to do all of this." i said feeling bad for making him go through all the trouble.
"it's fine." he shrugged "i also wanted to talk to you about... something." he let out a sigh.

"and what might that be?" i asked noticing the shyness in his figure.
"maybe i could tell you after we celebrate." he said with a nervous smile.
"ok." i shrugged.

i couldn't just say no to all of that, he went through so much trouble just to set everything up. i didn't want to ruin his day like that, he was too sweet.

"happy birthday to you," he did a soft clapping while smiling at me "happy birthday to you." i smiled "happy birthday dear maria," he gestured for me to blow out the candle.
i looked down at it, feeling as if something bad might happen, feeling as if they were all staring at me again. they were laughing at me.

"want me to blow it for you?" he asked, i nodded, he smiled before letting out the candle with a small blow. he gave me a small clap "yay!" he grinned.
"thank you camilo." i said why beginning to feel little butterflies of my own flying around my stomach.

"ok now..." he took a deep breath "let's talk about the thing." he stood up and grabbed a blue cornflower he was hiding under his ruana. i tilted my head with a smile.
"maria." he started with a flushed face "we've been friends for a while now." he gave me a soft smile.
"yeah," i nodded.
camilo sighed "but there's something that has been bothering me lately." he looked away shyly.
"is it me?" i frowned.
"yes-well not really." he blushed even more as he stammered around with his words.

"ok," i nodded "you can do it." i gave him a thumbs up.
he took a deep breath again "i love you." he said bowing his head and offering me the cornflower.
"as a friend?" i frowned, feeling my chest starting to tighten.
"n-no," he said "as a partner." he bowed his head again.

i began to blush and my heart soon started to beat at a rapid pace.
"oh." i managed to say while i kept on staring at him.
"so..." he looked down at me with the cornflower in his hand "do you love me too?" he asked a bit anxious.

did i? i never fell in love with someone before, was this what love felt like? or perhaps was i just too friendly?
i felt my chest tightening a bit more making me unable to think properly, i didn't know if i said no or yes, on one hand if i said yes i wouldn't be knowing how to love him since i didn't even know my own feelings, but on the other i could just crush his hopes and dream and finally destroy his birthday!

"maria?" he asked a bit worried, i gulped.
"i um..." i stood and took the cornflower.

should i say no? I don't think im ready for this...

"you don't have to tell me right away-"
"i need to go." i breathed and began to walk away.
"i'll see you later then!" i could hear him shout behind me.
i was fucked.