39

"so you're preparing for someone else's birthday? how pathetic." grandma scoffed.
"well you know how maria doesn't like celebrating her birthday." mom shrugged.

we were showing grandma around town so that the other madrigals wouldn't notice her just yet.
"well it happened seven years ago she can't just stop celebrating her birthday because of the past." she shook her head while ignoring the town folk.
"it's fine." i shrugged "i just don't feel that well and-"
"i wasn't talking to you maria." she scolded, fear began to wrap itself around my ear.

"me desculpe." i looked away.
"as i was saying," vitória sighed "she deserves a birthday celebration just like everyone else." she stood up straight.
"she'll celebrate once she's ready." said dad patting grandma on the shoulder.

miguel pulled me to walk a little bit behind the adults "hey," he whispered in my ear "don't you think this is a little weird?" he frowned.
"a little." i shrugged.
"like," he looked at grandma and then back at me "she just came here and started going all emotional on us." he cringed.

"it doesn't even sound like grandma." i chuckled.
"you've got that right." he scoffed.
"perhaps she changed, you'll never know." i shrugged again.
"yeah right," she rolled his eyes "she's way too stubborn to change." he said trying to mimick her creepy manners making me snicker.

"what are you laughing about?" asked grandma glaring at us through by her shoulder. we quickly stayed quiet and she looked away.
"what are you laughing at!" said miguel in a high pitched voice hoping the woman wouldn't hear him. i giggled at him.
"come on camilo's party is about to start!" we heard one of the kids shout out.
"well, may the lord protect us." said grandma vitória

we walked inside the house and everything was already set up, people were already coming inside talking with one another.
"hm." grandma stared coldly at the crowd of people.
"where's camilo?" pepa walked up to us with a cloud on her head, grandma took a few steps back.

"we don't know." mom shrugged, her cloud let out a thunder.
"oh cielos where did he go now?!" she walked away with felix following her.
"she looks ridiculous." grandma mumbled.
"now now don't be like that." dad sighed.
grandma rolled her eyes.

"camilo's here!" one of the men pointed.
we looked behind us and saw a very anxious camilo with mirabel walking next to him.
"feliz cumpleaños camilo!" they all yelled letting confetti fall through the air.
camilo smiled at the crowd and walked inside, he gave me a small wave but i ignored.

"you don't need him." said vitória, i frowned and looked down at my feet.
"come on everyone let's party!" then alma came in by the balcony letting the crowd enter camilo's room after him.
"well, the room must be crowded huh." grandma spoke a bit louder than usual getting alma's attention.

the woman's eyes widened and her face went pale.
"you're not supposed to be here." she barked.
"who said that?" grandma cocked an eyebrow, alma rushed down the stairs and gave grandma vitória a cold slap in the face leaving a red mark on her cheek.

we gasped.
"oh shit." said miguel.
"indeed." i whispered.
we could see julieta and pepa walk in inches away from us.
"what's going on?" asked felix and soon enough mirabel and her sisters came out to check it out too.

"get out of our casita andrade." alma glared at the woman.
grandma stood up straight and returned the slap alongside a second one.
everyone gasped.
"how dare you?!" said grandma "this isn't yours." she crossed her arms.

"what do you mean?" asked julieta.
"where is it." asked vitória.
"what do you mean?" asked bruno.
"the candle! she stole it from us!" grandma pointed at the woman.
they gasped and looked at eachother.
"we didn't steal that candle! it was from my husband!" alma yelled.
"he was supposed to be my husband!" grandma snapped.

everyone's eyes widened except for alma's.
"he never loved you," she chuckled "you just didn't see it." alma smirked.
"then he should've returned the candle i gave him!" grandma yelled.
"why do you care so much about it?!" alma pushed her.
"because that candle had magic to protect him!" grandma snapped, alma's eyes widened "if it wasn't for you this stupid magic wouldn't exist." she rolled her eyes.

"your magic is dangerous and unstable!" alma accused.
"hah! your magic instantly disappears whenever you have a fight with your grandchildren!" grandma cackled a laugh.
"how dare you!" alma slapped her again.

their yellings slowly turned into static, i couldn't concentrate anymore.
all i saw were those figures whispering and pointing their inky fingers at me, i gulped trying to ignore them but they got louder and louder.
"stop." i whispered getting miguel's attention.
"stop stop." i hit myself in the head. trying to quiet the voices.

"maria?" miguel placed a hand on my shoulder.
"stop," i mumbled.
"maria stop with that nonsense." i heard from one of the figures.
"maria!" miguel shook my shoulder.
"STOP!!" i yelled accidentally using my power to shive miguel against the walls.

everyone was now staring at me, my breath quickened.
"look at what you did!" grandma vitória accused, tears began to form inside my eyes.
"i think it's better for us to go." dad sighed while mom and julieta helped miguel.
"yes," grandma vitória glared at the madrigals "get your things everyone, we're leaving." she announced and left the house.

"what are you guys doing?" asked agustín.
"we're going back." mom sighed.
"but why?!" pepa asked with a cloud on her head.
"we have problems to fix back home." dad sighed.
"but it's camilo's birthday!" felix defended.
"we're sorry." i mumbled before leaving after grandma.