Chapter 18 - Nether Fortress

TW: flashbacks, panic attacks, gore, blood, panic

Italics: flashback

Y/N POV

After Dream had located a Nether Fortress 1,200 blocks east, we started the long and arduous journey. 

After a few hours of travelling through the Nether, I laid eyes on it. The Nether Fortress.

It was even more terrifying than how my dream portrayed it, the walls a horrendous blood-stained red, vast pillars plunging into the lava lake providing the building with stability, the monotonous hum of Blaze in the distance and the ear-splitting cries from the floating Ghasts behind us...

I flinched when I felt a presence on my right shoulder, it was a hand. Presuming it was Techno, I craned my neck and provided a smile until that smile fell instantly. It wasn't Technoblade it was George... just like in my dream. "It'll be alright Y/N, we're here" George warmly smiled. Although I couldn't receive any comfort from him saying that, I only felt shear terror.

"Okay guys, we all need to stay alert and cover each other. You hear rattling of bones shout and we all survey the area. None of us get hurt, you hear me" Techno bellowed as he gripped Dream's shoulder tightly as Dream repeated the action. We all cautiously nodded our heads and agreed as we began to advance towards the Fortress. 

My heart was pounding so hard in my chest, I was convinced the heart beats were echoing into our surroundings. Droplets of sweat raced down my forehead shortly before evaporating due to the sweltering heat. In my right hand, my sword; my knuckles turned a pale white as I gripped the handle of my sword with all my strength. And my left hand, a sweet and shiny golden apple seized amongst my grip. 

Every step I took felt like agony, the moss like substance underneath my feet providing zero bounce or comfort. The closer I got to the Fortress, the more daunting it became...

We all climbed up a hill until we stood before the entrance to the Fortress, a long dark hallway. A chest at the end of the hallway. A glowing light at the end of the hallway?

Dream was the first to step foot into the Fortress walls, followed by Techno then Sapnap and George. Then me...

The cool brick that moulded the Fortress floors provided a cool sensation beneath my feet, a relief from the unforgiving heat. Every step we took, our heels clicked on the bricks echoing and ricocheting off every surface and wall. I was now walking in the middle of everyone. Techno and Dream in front of me, with Sapnap and George walking behind me. For once, I felt relatively dare I say it... safe

We reached the end of the hallway as Dream opened the chest: gold horse armour, iron sword and a saddle. 

The hallway split off into two. Left and Right...

"Which way do we go?" Dream questioned not taking his eyes off the different pathways.

"Left" George whispered

We began our journey down the left hand corridor and lowered down a flight of stairs, at the bottom of the stairs... more hallways. 

After a while of navigating hallways and signposting where we'd explored we found ourselves at the end of a hallway and about to walk out onto an exposed bridge. We resumed our formation and advanced along the bridge. "Techno to your left" I shouted as a Blaze rose from underneath the bridge and began shooting fireballs at us. Techno reacted swiftly by pulling out a bow and arrow and shooting the Blaze until it died, dropping a blaze rod. 

After killing our first Blaze, the boys all celebrated as I looked to the right. A bridge running parallel to ours and then I saw it. Them... Wither Skeletons!