Chapter 6 Change

"Brother Alex." Selene immediately put on a fake smile to cover her surprise.' Looks like this body's senses are quite dull.'

Alex didn't say anything and just stared at her intensely.It felt as if he was trying to look through her brain to find out what was her motive to come to the training hall so late in the night.

'Activate' Selene turned on her mind reading.

[What is she doing here?Is she here to burn the hall or something?Or maybe some booby trap has been set in there for someone?]

Alex looked at the door Selene had closed upon seeing him and asked "What are you doing here?"

"Me?Um...I was just enjoying the view!"

"The view?"

"Yeah the moon and the stars were looking good tonight."

"But today is no moon day."

Selene looked outside the corridor window, indeed today the moon was not present in the sky.Just her luck.

"What I mean is that the night sky looks very good from the training halls windows so I came here to enjoy, but what are you doing here  brother?" Selene asked hoping it will deflect him.

"My room is close by, I woke up because of the noise you were making."

Selene was surprised she had made sure not to make any sound tonight, unless her ears were deceiving her it can't be true.

[It would do no good tell her that I had a nightmare.]

'A nightmare? So he woke up because of that and not because of my inadequate skills. Phew that's a relief.'

Now that she thought about it there was almost no information about Alex's past before being introduced as the heroine and villainess' adoptive brother in the novel except that he was orphaned at the age of 10 and suffered for one year without anyone supporting him after which the duke took him in because of his talent.

Alex was a genius with two rare elements that he could control very well - metal and poison, along with the basic element earth. His talent was the reason why the novel's Selene was so jealous of him to the point of hating him. 

At first it was just petty tricks but after she was introduced to dark arts it soon turned to assassination attempts. But that is in future and their relation only started to turn dark after Selene turned 15. So she still had time to retrieve her image back.

[I am pretty sure that she didn't come here just for the view should I probe more?]

Selene panicked hearing this thought, she was a very bad liar and couldn't even spew out one convincing lie. A fatal weakness of hers. She faked a yawn and said "Well I am feeling quite tired now, see you later brother Alex." With those word she slipped away before Alex could say anything.

Alex: .....

Selene reached her room and jumped on the bed hugging the pillow, sighed in relief. Although her sneaking out was not totally successful she still managed to advance to 1st level.A little while later Anna came in panting. 

"Milady did you advance?"

"First tell me why did you not do anything when Alex approached the hall? You failed your practice mission!"

"Ah young master also came there?"

"Also?What do you mean by also?"

"Few minutes after you had gone in, the head maid had come for night inspection, so I went and purposefully bumped into her leading her to lecture me in the servant's quarters." Anna said.