Chapter 18 Engagement

"Father? He called for me?" Selene who was sitting on her chair asked.

"Yes, young miss."

"Tell him I will come in a moment." 

Two months had passed by quickly with Selene being busy everyday with both her official and hidden schedule filled. If she wasn't caught up with all the increasing homework Val was giving to her, she would go to Obsidian and handle the matters over there.

She had thought that managing and improving an already existing guild would be easier than building one from scratch, but it seemed that was not the case, at least with Obsidian. Except for the slaves and few customers, it in fact had nothing to earn money from.

Even that was spent in the extravagant lifestyle the ex-guildmaster lived and the profitless dealings he made with his so-called customers. Selene felt a headache coming after reading all the reports Ren gave her about the guild's functioning. Why? Because it was a mess!

On every mission where only one person was needed to be appointed, at least two or three members were sent. And what's more, he frequently cancelled their missions so as to assign them on 'more important' missions. And the money which was given in advance was often not returned because of his greed.

As a result although he didn't offend any big shot (Not that there were any of them among his customers), a lot of his small fish customers held animosity against him. It took her over one month to settle all the people who were targeting the guild and send warning to the rest who were planning to do so. She did it with relative ease since none of them held any significant power. 

But this helped her realize that she had to increase her and the guild's power if she wanted to keep it with her. Which led her to a new problem: Training all the members of guild. 'Members' since they had signed the contact she had prepared after confirming they wanted to stay.

 Training them wasn't exactly the problem, the problem was the person training them. Of course Selene could train them personally but she had time issues. And she was hesitant to bring in anybody from outside since the guild was still in a weak position. 

She had given orders that after finishing the remaining previous tasks, they would not take any new requests. To the remaining customers, the notice that the guild would remain temporarily closed was sent.

Few of the members had any particular skill they were good at or specialty while most of them only had some basic knowledge acquired from the 'tasks' they were assigned to. Moreover, the resources the previous guildmaster had spent on them were close to none since he saw it as waste. Because of which even if many of them did have potential to grow they couldn't because of the lack of resources.

As Selene was discussing this problem with Anna, the butler informed her about the duke's call. Selene wondered why the duke called her suddenly, on her way to his office. Could it be he discovered about her frequent secret trips to the guild? 

She immediately shook her head at the thought, that couldn't possible she had taken even more measures to not get caught after Alex discovered her. Or does he want to persuade her again to move back to the east wing?

Soon she reached the office and stood in front of the door. Knocking three times on the door she waited for response from inside.

"Come inside." Selene heard the voice from inside just like the first time she had met the Duke.

Inside the Duke was sitting on the sofa rather than his chair, in front of him desserts and tea were laid out on the table.

"You called, father?" Selene asked looking at the arrangement curiously.