Chapter 12 Slave boy

Alex went running to the mansion and found Val sitting in the greenhouse. Val looked at the panting Alex and asked " What happened? Was the test too hard?"

"No, it was easy *huff* but we encountered a monster after finishing, Selene is still*huff* with the monster."

"A monster? That's impossible isn't there a-"

"There's no time to explain please come with me now!" Alex did not know why he was feeling so worried but right now he had only one thought and that was to ensure that Selene was safe.

Again Val drank the liquid from the strange vial and then started running after Alex. They reached the forest entrance where Alex had left Selene only to see her standing there waiting for them with the hyena howling in pain and struggling to escape the metal shackles it was bounded in, quite some distance away from it .

"Oh you two came, the hyena was making so much noise that I thought it might escape." Selene said with a relieved expression.

"But who tied it up so harshly?" Val asked.

"It was brother Alex of course, he was brave enough to go near it to shoot his poison in its eyes and bind it with metal shackles he created with his magic, isn't that right brother?"

Alex was about to deny it when he saw Selene's smile turning sinister, he quickly changed his mind and laughed awkwardly before saying "It wasn't a big deal."

"You should have told me about this before, I wouldn't have wasted a 1 whole vial of my quick potion." Val lamented.

"Quick potion?" Selene repeated.

"Yup its a new potion recently I developed which increases your speed 4x,wanna try?" Val asked enthusiastically.

"Uh...I'll pass." Selene replied eyeing the vial in his hand suspiciously.

"Okay then, you two go back to the, mansion and inform Alpheus about this while I deal with this hyena. Oh also ask him to send some knights to help with the labour."

Alex nodded and went to the mansion with Selene, during the walk Alex noticed that Selene was quite behind him and was walking very stiffly. He looked at Selene with the 'What's wrong' expression but Selene just shook her head. 

After the reaching the Duke's office, they both narrated the incident to him. His secretary Terry after hearing this bowed down and whispered something into Alpheus's ear, a flash of realization passed Alpheus's eyes who smiled chillingly and muttered "So they were targeting me."

"They were targeting you?" Alex asked shocked.

"Well that is my and Terry's guess since I was supposed to go for the monthly forest's inspection but for some important work that had suddenly come up I had cancelled it."

"But the monster was just a second level monster it might be difficult for us to defeat it but for you shouldn't be a child's play?" Selene asked.

"You will get your answer in two hours, don't worry." 

And indeed Selene got her answer 2 hours, later the report from the knights that were sent to the forest came. It was found that there were several traps set up in the forest, there were also evidences that after the culprit found out that the Duke was not going out he tried to remove all the traces but somehow the blood-eyed hyena and its group were left out.

The Duke ordered all the people of the mansion to not go  the forest while magic shields were being renewed around the forest for the next 5 days, Selene though did not need the duke's order to stop her from forest. Why? because when she entered her room Anna pounced on her berating about not informing her about Selene's trip the forest again. These days Anna had become relaxed with Selene being obedient and taking her to the forest whenever she needed to do any practice in the forest. But today she again didn't tell her and then even got into trouble.