Chapter 14 A Recruit

Selene had finished learning the basics of the seventh language the week before after which she immediately started researching on devices she could make with the help of her new skill. With Lumen's help she was able to produce her first 3 blueprints very easily: A transmitter locket, a fire shield ring and a cooling water bracelet. Of course she also took tips from books present in the library on construction of mana devices.

Although theoretically her blueprints should work, she wanted to test them practically. But the problem was that neither did she have the materials (other than the mana crystals) to make the devices nor a jewellery designer and maker who could convert her blueprints into a reality.

So here she was in the market again but this time with an excuse she had given to the duke so as to not having to come secretly. It was buying clothes, the duke wanting to regain his relationship with Selene agreed but with the condition of her having a guard with her.

Milady! Come here try this." Anna beckoned a tired Selene to come near.

"This is the fifteenth dress you are asking me to wear." Selene complained dragging herself towards Anna, regretting the decision of giving the excuse of buying clothes. Though she did discover a fact- shopping with an overenthusiastic maid was more tiring than being overworked as an assassin.

"It has been years since you came to personally buy clothes, it is a rare opportunity to waste. You have to understand milady." Anna said gleefully while handing another dress in Selene's hand and pushing her in the dressing.

They were currently present in the capital's most popular boutique 'Clarity' that earned its fame quite recently. It was also the shop that started the trend of readymade clothes in the high society. The owner of this boutique was still a mystery since he/she has never appeared once in public.

But with his ever- so- vast connections Duke Alpheus was able to book its 3 hours of time for his daughter Selene because of which it had become quite difficult for Selene to escape Anna's dressing mania. Selene came out wearing yet another formal gown which had blue sequins on its hem and purple diamonds on its neckline.

"Wah, everything looks so good on you. Should we just buy it all?" Anna asked her eyes shining.

"No, we will buy maximum 10 dresses. That's all." Selene replied with a tone that did not take a No for answer.

An hour later, Selene finally managed to drag Anna out of the boutique after their booked timings ended. Before leaving, true to her promise Selene finalized 10 dresses and told the manager to deliver them to the main mansion in the Clypeus estate.

"Was that really all?" Anna asked disappointed.

"You do remember why we actually came here right?" Selene said keeping some distance from the knight walking behind her, so he does not hear her words.

"Yes....I know." Anna replied hunching her shoulders.

Selene sighed; Anna had a valid reason to be so excited at Selene's day out for shopping- since the villainess was so immersed in making herself better as to impress her father, she hardly went out and stayed cooped up in her room studying one book then another.

Anna, who always wanted her lady to enjoy her life, obviously didn't like her burying her nose in the books all the time in order to please her indifferent father.
Therefore, when Selene transmigrated into the villainess' body Anna was given hope that her lady was reverting back as she was before her mother's tragedy.

"Don't look so grumpy, we will do a bit of shopping at our next destination too." Selene said.

"Really? Where are we going to?" Anna asked her eyes lighting up again.