By The Fire (Bang Chan x Reader)

01 December
The fire is lit, crackling, radiating warmth as Christmas tunes hum from the radio.
"Honey!!" Chan exclaims, hugging me in his arms as he comes home for winter break.
"You're covered head to toe in snow! You know what the doctor said." I whined, brushing it off of his shoulders.
He hid a gift bag behind him. "I had to buy you something before they ran out- no peeking until Christmas!" He grinned.
Then he hid it behind the tree, wrapping it conspicuously, before we wandered off to bed, cuddling together for warmth, leaving the fireplace to burn out.

05 December
Bang Chan kept leaving after that for his doctor visits, always coming back with a smile, and 'positive news'. I knew he was lying.
Why would the doctor request him back every day and a half if he was fine. He was lying. But every time I asked him about it, he hushed me, and helped me light the fire, as we cuddled in front of it.
The tree was decorated now with red and white baubles, wrapped in silver tinsel. Too innocent to be true, really. Nothing was ever as it seems.

8th December
He kept telling me he was fine. There was no way. He had fresh stitches on hi stomach, and bandaids on his arms from blood tests and infusions.
But everyday he would come home, we would set up the fire, and we would sit in front of it, cuddling with a hot chocolate, just grateful to be in each others arms, knowing time was running out.
What sort of Christmas luck is this? It's bullshit, that's what it is.

11th December
It's confirmed, I hate Christmas.
At least Chan is home this year. Last year he was attached to wires in a deep slumber, unaware of my daily visits.
"Y/N, you look upset.. what's wrong?" He asked, giving me a gentle kiss on the face.
"What's wrong? What's wrong is you're unwell.. it just keeps getting worse.. this Christmas shit is horrible. You should be better, but the doctors are failing their only job." I grumbled, holding his hand tightly.
"It's not their fault, my body has just.. it's had enough.. I've pushed it too much." He smiled sadly.
"Please hold on baby.. Christmas is just two weeks away." I said, feeling a tear slip. "I want to have one Christmas with you before you go, where we laugh away with our friends by the fire, kissing under the mistletoe." I whispered.
He kissed my forehead. "Of course baby."

18th December
Everyday I watched him as he grew weaker, eye bags getting bigger, darker, as his hair started to fall out in small clumps, body weakening as he grew more and more lazy, as every move caused him to grunt in pain.
"Baby can you- never-mind.." he whispered, trying to get up to reach for the remote.
I grabbed it for him, pushing him back down. "Rest babe, otherwise you'll never get better." I said, giving it to him.
"I'd already be dead without you." He chuckled dryly.
"Don't say that. No one's dying." I scoffed, as I brought dinner from the kitchen.
He looked at my food cautiously.
"I don't feel like eating.." He said. "Sorry baby.."
"You need to eat to stay strong." I frowned.
"Every time I eat I just throw it back up." He said.
"Maybe this meal will be different." I said, glaring down at him.
My food was amazing, maybe a bit.. off, but it had kept him alive this long.
He wasn't eating as much as he should be, and it worried me.

23rd December
Christmas was two sleeps away. You'd think I'd be excited and jumping around like a child.
Instead we both sat in the bathroom as he threw up in the toilet, his sick tinted red. Full of blood.
"Babe have you been eating?" I asked.
"I've eaten as much as I can.. have you been putting something in there you shouldn't be? I don't want to sound rude, but every time I eat your food I feel worse.." Chan asked.
"Well depends on the meal. Most dinners I use a whole bunch of herbs.. I thought it was meant to make it taste better. I'll stop adding them." I said.
He nodded in thanks, before throwing up again.
He had found out.

24th December
Christmas Eve. You could say this day was the worst. We were so close to Christmas, it he spent the whole day locked in the bedroom, refusing to come out and eat.
I frowned, as I fumbled through his stuff to find the room key, before opening our bedroom door.
"I've brought you a glass of water." I said, passing him the glass.
He drank it happily, before spitting it out and coughing.
"What the hell was that?!" He exclaimed.
"A mix of medicinal herbs to make you feel better." I said, face blank.
If you were just listening, and behaving properly Bang Chan, you would be okay.
I wouldn't of had to of made you sick.
I sighed. "I suppose we may not have our Christmas by the fire."
I saw his eyes begin to flutter, as the poison started to take over.
I gave him a kiss on the head, as I hugged him to me.

"It shouldn't have ended this way.. merry Christmas babe.. let's spend it by the fire next year.. I know your spirit will always be with me.." I whispered.
Thats when he went limp and I looked around the room at all the ghosts.
Seven in counting.
"It's quite a collection, don't you agree?" I smiled to myself.
As I saw Bang Chan's ghost leave his body, he just looked to me.
"I was trying to help you with this witch shit and you betray me. Idiot. The police will find out." He growled.
"It's fine. I'll be able to bewitch them like I did you." I grinned.
"Who should I get next?"