Chapter 42 | Christmas Day

Even with my eyes closed, all I could see was death

Even with my eyes closed, all I could see was death. The nightmare becoming a coin of flipped choices. One side was the girl I used to be, the one without the blood of a wizard on her hands

The other side smiled, assimilating the magic that transferred into my body with only a bit of the cowards blood. Every passing moment I belittled Zeke.

My eyes fluttered open to see myself in a singular bed. Covered in clothes that masked my own scent, replacing it with Theo's. The smell of expensive cologne, smoke and parchment took over.

My hands tingled, waiting for the magic to burst, but the door did instead.

"Finally you're awake, Camille thought you were gonna miss Christmas" Theodore laughed. I threw him a halfhearted smile, clenching my fists that awaited use. I could feel my own blood pump, every heartbeat rattle.

"Ava? Are you alright?"

"Yes? No-fuck, I don't know" I said looking down at my hands to see my veins black. The horror clear on my face.

"I'm gonna go get Riddle" He rushed out the room and I sighed, letting out a heavy breath but cracked the mirror as well. The shattering pieces dropped to the floor.

"What's wrong?" Mattheo came in alone, shutting the door behind him.

"My hands-look at my hands" my words spitting out with fear. He observed cautiously, taking my hands in his while I watched his eyes examine the black surface.

"You killed someone, maybe this is just what happens"

"That's not all- I feel different"

"You're stronger darling, you have to learn to control it. Camille's still asleep, but not for long. She tried to stay up last night, but failed miserably once it hit ten" he explained making me chuckle.

"I didn't get her anything for Christmas- we need to go to the store"

"I have it all under control, I had Enzo buy what we needed. Now we have too fucking much, but it's fine." He rolled his eyes and I could already feel my tense shoulders relax.