prolouge.

—   —   —   —   —   —   —   —   —   —   —   —

“Hija, are you sure you don't want to visit the Madrigals?” your mother's voice softly questioned your decision of not attending Mirabel Madrigal's gift ceremony.   

It was like a whole-town tradition. Whenever a Madrigal kid would come of age; 5 years old, the whole town would gather at the famous Casita and party in celebration for the new gift that will bless the town for years to come.

A few months ago, a boy named Camilo was lucky enough to be born into the family and was given the gift of shapeshifting. Since then, the small (Y/N) was able to spot him walking around town with his Abuela, shifting into kids as he played with them non-stop. Although known as an infamous trickster, the Destrezas most preferred to keep their child away from him to avoid any possible harm.

We can safely say he was one of the reasons this small child was scared of getting close to the Casita whenever possible.

You nodded your head vigorously, “The Casita scares me.” your lips formed a small pout as your mother picked you up and rested you on her lap, cradling you in her arms. 

“What's there to be scared about, Mi vida?” She asked with a light chuckle.

“It moves! It scares me every time the floor moves, makes me think it'll send me outside all alone.” Your mother looked at you with an amused expression. Cocking an eyebrow up, she lightly poked your nose.

“It's Camilo, isn't it?” She teased.

The Casita and Camilo both love teaming up together to play around with the children. (Y/N) was a victim to their playful antics and it ended with her face planted on the mud with her clothes stained in cheese.

You simply puffed your cheeks and furrowed your brows together, “No!” you exclaimed.

“Are you sure?”

You nodded, closing your eyes.

“Are you really sure?”

“Mhm!”

“Really really reaaaally sure?”

You opened your eyes wide and gave a determined nod.

“What if I were to tell you I'm Camilo, right now?”

Your mother leaned in, foreheads touching. Frozen in place, the little you just blinked twice and never moved an inch as you stared at your mother blankly.

A tear slowly formed at the corner of your eyes as your mother hurriedly shushed you in an attempt to calm you down, “I'm sorry, Mi Vida, haha. Camilo really scares you, huh?”

You gave no reply as you clutched your mother's shirt tightly. Mouth shivering as a small sob from you was heard throughout the room.

“Hija, there's nothing to worry about. Let's try it one last time, hm? I'll be by your side the whole time,” your mother reassured, catching your attention. “And if Camilo tries to pull a prank on you, I'll scold him.”

The word scold somehow calmed you as your were reassured with the thought of your mother being by your side throughout the ceremony, and mainly because Camilo will get punished if he tries to pull a prank on you.

Your face brightened in joy, which your mother found to be very adorable. With both hands finding its way to your cheeks, your mother snuggled in and swarmed you with light kisses around your face. Giggles filled the room as the atmosphere became more and more light.