eighteen.

The surprise was small and simple yet it would speak a thousand words to your best friend, Mirabel. A door knob. One that she had dreamt of her whole life, a door just for her. Isabela was the one who suggested the idea of the front door of La Casa Madrigal being Mirabel's door, given that she was the one who led everyone to rebuilding the house and was the one who opened the family to a new step in collective healing. If not for her, they wouldn't have reunited with Bruno. If not for her, the magic would never have returned. 

"(Y/N), hurry up," 

The last day of construction. Truthfully, cleaning up and decorating was the last on everyone's lists. Everything went by smoothly. It was currently afternoon, everyone was preparing to leave. All except you, Adriana, and the Madrigals. 

In all honesty, you were a bit confused as to why your sister stayed with you. In other scenarios, she would leave you be and stay at home to rest. Is she sick or something? Nonetheless, you had promised Isabela and the others you would help for the surprise. 

"I'm done," You step out of the house, dusting off the dust that might have found its way to your skirt. Adriana was waiting outside impatiently, constantly turning her head back and forth between you and the hill where La Casa Madrigal stood.

"About time, where's the doorknob?" You held the item for your sister to see. She nodded in approval and harshly grabbed a hold of your wrist. 

"Now we have to hurry, everyone's coming back," People who came from up the hill swarmed the town as some returned to their dwellings and some remained outside, finished with the work and were preparing for a celebration to follow the rebuilt La Casa Madrigal. For you and Adriana, this was the signal for the two of you to run up to the house and give the present dedicated to Mirabel. 

"Okay, okay, I'm right behind you." 

You jogged behind Adriana with smiles plastered on your faces. Despite the drama that went on these past few days, it's remarkable how everything still played out well in the end. Well, there's no longer any magic, but at least everyone's safe and together. 

Holding the doorknob in hand, you quickly made a detour spotting Mirabel talking with Mariano at the steps in front of their house. Immediately, Adriana made sure the aforementioned girl didn't spot a single strand of your hair. It was risky to let her see you holding the gift, she might think about it and figure out the whole plan. 

You scurried over to the side of their home, panting heavily as Bruno walked over to you in concern. 

"Amiguita, are you okay?" You were only able to respond with a nod, hands on your knees as you struggled to catch your breath. You held up a hand that held the knob, the older man receiving the object in wonder. 

"You kids made this last night? Wow," 

He stared at the door knob, examining the intricate details you guys made last night. It was a simple procedure. You got an extra wooden door knob from a neighbor, you discussed what the design should be, you made it with the help of tío Felix, who was concerned about letting his nieces, son, daughter, and his son's friend, hold something sharp. There was a large M heavily emphasized by its size in comparison to the details, small flowers and dumbbells floated at the sides, small animals (chameleons) and some wave patterns were added in. 

"Tío Felix did that mostly, he's really talented." Bruno couldn't disagree as the proof was right in front of his eyes. 

"How are you so far?" You ask, reclaiming the object previously in his hand. 

He smiled softly. "Doing great. Feels nice to not hide from everyone. I can actually talk to mi familia now," His laughter was genuine and you could see the brightness in his face. "Thank you,"