four.

—   —   —   —   —   —   —   —   —   —   —   —

“That was amazing!” Pepa and her husband tenderly gazed down at their youngest, eyes shining proudly at Antonio who just went around his room with the help of his animal friends.

Camilo and Dolores moved a bit closer to their sibling, both looked at their younger brother just as proudly as their parents are.

The little scene was enough to melt your heart. It was like a moment ago, Antonio was nervous out of his mind unable to set foot out of the nursery. Now here he is, basking in the spotlight with a newfound gift.

You smiled as Antonio glanced at you, ecstatic at your satisfied expression. The townsfolk were not too different with the congratulations towards the animal-whisperer. They gathered close and sent their cheers around the small kid as they bickered and chattered with each other.

“I knew you could do it,” Alma softly grazed her hand across the child's cheek with a tender gaze. “A gift just as special as you.”

“Come, come, everyone! Let's take a picture.” The elder exclaimed joyfully. At least now she doesn't have to worry anymore about the night being imperfect.

You giggled to yourself as you backed up a few steps, watching the Madrigals come together as a family for a group photo.

All except for one, Mirabel.

Her abscence got your attention quickly as she was nowhere to be found in the group. You stretched your neck and moved around while searching for the young girl.

Of course, she must feel devastated right now. At the night of her gift ceremony, no one bothered to take her picture, because she recieved no gift. Following this event, her Abuela has been evidently cautious around the girl which made her sad about the distance between her and her Abuela.

You had to console her as much as you can, given that you're her best friend.

It was hard to move with the amount of people crowding the room. You grunted as you squeezed between two people who were pushing themselves forward to get a better glimpse of Antonio.

“Come on, Mirabel, where are you?” You muttered to yourself. Reaching the exit, you found yourself stumbling forward as children scurried along the door to enter.
Before you could feel the hard floor on your face, two warm arms supported your weight by the side as a blush swiftly overtook your face.

You raised your chin, “D-Diego!”

The man looked at you, shocked. He was partially wondering how you looked slightly different, and why you were trying so hard to exit the celebration inside Antonio's room. In all honesty, he didn't really expect to meet you like this.

“What are you doing here?”

He raised a glass of margarita, shaking it slightly enough to not spill it. “Adriana wanted a drink so, I got some.” Casita's floorboards raised a little and made a tiny wave, carrying a table full of food and drinks into Antonio's room.

Your mouth formed an o shape as you nodded your head.

“I see.”

“And you?” He asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Oh, I'm,” You fixed your posture upon realizing you were slouching. “looking for Mirabel. She wasn't in there anymore so I got worried.”

Diego nodded, understanding the situation.

“I think I saw her on the roof earlier, why don't you check there?”

The roof? Oh, Mirabel, please don't do what I think you'll do. Your face was washed with worry, Diego taking the hint quite well. He placed a flower in your hand, taking you by surprise.