camilo_1.

—   —   —   —   —   —   —   —   —   —   —   —

It was (Y/N)'s mother's third death anniversary. The town gathered around her house and placed candles on their respective homes' steps as tradition, saying the light will lead the dead to their home.

I haven't seen the little girl out for a whole week yet, just when I thought she cheered up, she shut herself in her doors yet again.

I sighed next to my sister, Dolores. She quickly took notice of this but didn't make a fuss about it, thankfully.

“Worried for your little amiga?” She asked quietly.

With her gift of enhanced hearing, my sister likes to talk on the down low as it hurts her eardrums when there's loud noise. Honestly, I can't imagine how it's like to sleep with her gift.

I give a simple nod, “Yeah.”

For some weird reason, ny answer resulted to my sister giving me a strange look. She eyed me up and down multiple times before opening her mouth to speak.

“Are you high, hermaníto?” She questioned.

“What gave it away?” I asked back, shapeshifting into Señorita Rosalinda before giving her a small hug as a greeting.

Dolores shrugged, “Since when were you worried about her? Scratch that, since when do you worry?”

I looked at her in disbelief, does she really look at me as a cold-hearted buffoon? Even if the two of us barely interacted, I still care about her, in a friendly way. I treat everyone in the town like family, there's no reason for me to be indifferent towards the Destreza, right?

“Stop saying that like you're deeply implying that I'm a monster.” I groaned excessively as Dolores let out a small giggle.

Mamá approached us coming from the Casita, “Mi Amor, there they are.” I heard her say.

Both me and my sister exchanged looks, watching as Mamá and Papá rushed over with concerned expressions. Before I could say a word, Mirabel emerged from behind with Tía Julieta following her daugher.

“Má, did someone get hurt?” Dolores asked in a whisper, holding her mother's hand as Mamá's head was currently underneath a small thunder cloud.

“Camilo,” Tía Julieta softly called. “You know (Y/N), right?”

The adults looked over me, expecting a positive answer. I took a quick glance over to Mirabel first to see if she had any idea about what was happening, to my dismay, she refused to give a hint.

“Yes, tía, did something happen?” My confusion shifted into concern in a flash, seeing (Y/N)'s older sister, Adriana, dash towards us with tears in her eyes.

“Camilo, please, please help my sister.” She pleaded, kneeling down infront of me while taking a hold of my shoulders.

“Uh .. ” My train of thought was cut off as soon as a loud shattering of glass was clearly heard, followed by a yell that everyone knew who it belonged to.

“DIOS MIO, YOU'RE THE MOST STUPIDEST BRAT I'VE EVER SEEN.” The voice was so comprehensible along with the cries as we were gathered around the house at a distance that allowed us to hear everything.

A crash followed yet again.

Then a loud banging on walls.

Anger started boiling up in my stomach as I knew all too well what the situation was about. Then it hit me, what the hell was I supposed to do? I'm just nine, what do they want me to do in this?

I looked up to Abuela who just arrived at the scene, people clearing the way as they covered the children's ears.

“Camilo,” my palms clenched into fists, knuckles turning white. I tried to steady by breathing as my shifting started to turn abnormal. “We need you to go in there.”

Those words were both what I wanted to hear and didn't want to, I was scared. Of course I was, I'm a child!

“Mamá, are we sure about this, he's a child, he could get hurt.” Má held me close to her as I got soaked in the cloud forming above her head.

Can someone please, give me an explanation?

“Our father is a drunkard,” Adriana stepped forward as her body shivered in fear. “when mother passed away, it got worse. He looked at (Y/N) as a mistake and placed the blame all unto her.”

“Their father has insane brute strength. Luisa can't do anything as long as he's close to the child, she can get hurt and he won't let go.”

At that time, it was vividly clear what I needed to do.

“Give me the picture.”