seven.

—   —   —   —   —   —   —   —   —   —   —   —

"Why does this place have so many," you stopped in your tracks as you held the grainy wall for support, breath heavily pacing as you felt your legs getting tired. "stairs." You gave out a long groan, feeling the fatigue reaach your legs.

Simultaenously, the two Madrigals in front of you stopped to catch their breath as well. The three teenagers were panting as they were barely up half of the steps that lead to the small cave up at the very top.

"We still got a long way to go," Mirabel shook her head and slapped her cheeks as a way to make her get back in the working zone.

Casita was unable to aid the three of you inside Bruno's tower, leading to you and Mirabel looking at Camilo constantly making sure that he wasn't doing anything dangerous. You two were used to not using any abilities to get through any situation, you expected that the shapeshifter would try to morph into someone out of habit and accidentally hurt himself.

Camilo was one who greeted danger with an open smile. As a trickster, he gets himself to very risky situations that leads to him needing two of his tía Julieta's arepas to fully heal him.

The tower was full of sand. Walls, stairs, pillars, all made of sand that somehow withstood all these years. There was a faint green glow from the cave you spotted from down below, it was then when the three of you decided to inspect that area first.

"Okay, let's go." Your steps got slow and heavy as your body was turning numb.

"Careful, hermosa, you might need me to carry you all the way up." Camilo teased, making you roll your eyes and scrunch up your nose in disgust. Not like you mind being called hermosa, especially by Camilo.

Wait, since when did you think about that?

You shook your head, "Keep dreaming, Milo. I'm sure before we even reach the top you'll be begging for me to carry your little legs."

The two of you exploded in a fit of laughter as Mirabel occassionally looked back, making sure two of you haven't playfully started to push each other to the side and make one of you fall to their impending doom. Yeah, thanks Mirabel for keeping an eye out.

"Are we close?" You asked from behind the shapeshifter, gaze falling unto Mirabel as she checked the distance.

"We're near."

"Thank goodness, I was worried Destreza over here was going to faint from fatigue." Camilo shook his head, adding on to his terrible acting.

He was half-right. You were tired and fatigue is catching up to you. You were merely trying your best not to look like it as to not worry the two Madrigals with you. If you ever did collapse, well, let's hope for the best.

The three of you had finally reached the top, which could mean your journey is almost over, right? Sand was all you could see at this point, the stairs being your newest fear.

"Why does it look like the cave is far?" Camilo gulped as he inched forward, glancing down on the deep hole that separated all of you and the cave. The three of you stayed in stunned silence.

"So .. " You started. "Who's going to jump first?"

Without a warning, Mirabel had sprinted past you and Camilo and leaped across. She landed safely on the other side, stumbling a little as the weight of her actions dawned on her. You watched as her face contorted into utter horror.

"I just did that." Mirabel muttered to herself in disbelief.

You internally applauded Mirabel for her brave action, showing that it was possible to jump across. Unfortunately, your bravery went out to buy milk. You wanted to try, a bit less anxious knowing that there was someone on the other side that can catch you.