three.

Before starting the evening of celebration with food and festivities, you wanted to meet up with Mirabel first and see how she was doing.

You knew well enough your friend was a whole lot anxious for her prímo, Antonio. If this gift ceremony doesn't work like hers, the town's folk would consider it a sign of the encanto's magic is fading. This whole thing would put a whole lot of pressure on her being the one Madrigal kid that failed to live up to Abuela's expectations, painfully.

“Mirabel?” You called, walking around the rooms and corridors where your friend might be in.

After minutes nearing to you giving up, Casita raised your feet and led you straight into the nursery, where an empty bed was found.

You raised an eyebrow at the Casita.

Yeah, leave it up to the house to guess what your gestures meant.

Giving it another go, you opened your mouth ever so slightly, “Mirabel? Antonio?” Shuffling could be heard from beneath the bed as soon as you spoke.

To your surprise, a tiny Antonio in his white suit emerged from beneath while holding a stuffed tiger that had different colored stitches all over its body, and a shy Mirabel who waved at you with a small smile.

“Hm, found the two of you at once.” You blurted out before hearing Antonio's light giggling.

Of course, he was nervous. His ceremony is just after Mirabel's. Everyone in town was expectant of him to be something for them. At this point you worry how much the Madrigals try to reach the town's expectations.

You knelt down to be on eye-level with Antonio, “You okay, hombrecito?” He bit his lip before squeezing the plushie tight in his hand and giving a small nod.

“It's okay to be not, you know.” You smiled. It actually broke your heart at how persistent he is with Mirabel and staying with her in the nursery. The two bonded a whole lot and it was touching.

“Thank you,” Antonio shyly looked at you with his big eyes. “for making this.”

He held up the plushie towards your face. You were unable to resist his charm and immediately leaned forward to give him a tight squeeze.

“Anything for you, little amígo.” You muttered. Your eyes trailed to a smiling Mirabel by the window, who had no escape in the little hug.

Abruptly, you grabbed her hand and pulled her in the embrace. After a few moments you pulled away and took a quick check at their appearances.

“Didn't I tell you two not to hide in dirty places for so long?” You sighed, earning giggles from the two. Your hand started dusting off the dirt from their faces and clothes that were clearly visible since earlier.

“Geez, mom, we get it.” Mirabel chuckled as she rolled her eyes playfully before adjusting her glasses.

Antonio looked between you and Mirabel for a while, catching your attention. Shifting your body to face him, you raised your eyesbrows in a questioning manner.

“Hm?”

Catching the two of you by surprise, Antonio rushed towards you and Mirabel, hugging you two tightly. The gesture melted your heart as the little guy looked geniunely sad he was going to leave Mirabel in the nursery or he was going to disappoint the family.

Such a world for such an adorable innocent fella.

—   —   —   —   —   —   —   —   —   —   —   —

Everyone gathered around the wide open space in Casita, the light growing dim as Abuela Madrigal stepped down the staircase with candle in hand, signalling the start of the ceremony.