chapter eighteen

Emmett
....
I laid there fiddling with the dumbass phone for a while before finally giving up. I threw the phone aside and let out a big sigh. I like technology but at the same time, I can't stand the crappy baby games he wanted me to play. The phone was useless if I couldn't call for help. I just lay there staring at the ceiling, bored. Just lying there I finally realized how hungry I was. David was taking forever. I know I shouldn't eat anything these people give me but it's like that man's food has got me under a spell. This morning's breakfast was the best breakfast I've tasted in my life. If breakfast was that good lunch has also gotta be amazing. Just thinking about it made me drool a little.

I know I need to focus on escaping here but my head was hurting from all this thinking and my pride was hurting from all this failure. The only good thing that seemed to be happening since I got here is the amazing food. Although I know I shouldn't eat the food, in a weird way eating good food despite being in this insane place sorta made the overall situation a little bit better as crazy as it might sound.

I heard, what could only be Davids's footsteps, walking in my direction. I wasn't as startled as I should have been when he picked me up. Holding me to his chest he brought me into the dining room, he buckled me into the highchair he spoke.

"Ready to eat?! Daddy made some yummy food just for you."

I just looked at him, my expression neutral. Though I didn't give him a reaction, the man didn't care he just smiled as he snapped the tray into the highchair and began bringing food from the kitchen. I watched as he brought out a plate but I noticed it was an odd color. When he sat it down in front of me I realized the plate was blue and plastic. It was a plate for babies. The plate was sectioned off into the main dish and the two side dish. The main dish was a grilled cheese sandwich. In the smaller sections were steamed broccoli and cut up watermelon. He also brought out a blue sippy cup filled with something. My stomach bellowed a small growl and David laughed. I was a little embarrassed but ignored him and just stared at the food debating if I should eat or not. I was giving in the more I stared at it. David must've sensed my hesitation because before I know it he's lifting a piece of the grilled cheese towards my mouth. In a wobbly motion I turned my head away. He sighed,

"Come on little guy, I promise It tastes really good." 

I didn't acknowledge him but instead kept my head turned around. When David tried to put the food near my mouth again I turned my head away again in the other direction. The man didn't give up and after this went on for a good five minutes I could tell that David was at a loss on what to do. I could feel a bit of happiness at this, for once I was winning against these people. I tried not to let it show on my face though. I had finally thought the man had given up when he set the grilled cheese back onto the tray as he scratched his head, but as soon as he did this my stomach betrayed me. It let out another big rumble. I held my stomach in a useless attempt to shut it up. I felt heat spread across my face and I looked up and saw David looking at me with a knowing smile. 

"Emmitt, why aren't you eating? I know you're hungry because the little yum yum monsters in your tummy are screaming at me to give my little baby some food. Can't you eat something for daddy? Please?"

I ignored him and turned my face away again. I heard a sigh from  David again but this time it was different. I could feel the frustration radiating off of him. When he spoke he had that threatening and stern tone that he had spoken earlier and I started to sweat a  little.

"Emmitt, you need to eat and stay healthy. If you don't eat daddy is going to have to give you a bottle and put you to bed earlier than usual. You won't get to greet mama and Sam when they get home until dinner, then right after dinner you'll go straight to bed without playtime. Do you want that, hmm? You need to eat something."