chapter nineteen

Emmett
....
My body quickly stiffened as I watched Sam and his mom walk through the door, their eyes immediately landed on me. They both had smiles and my frown deepened. David came out of the kitchen and had on what looked to be an apron. I watched as he greeted his wife and son. His wife glanced at me again before asking David a question,
"So how was Emmett's first day? Was he being good, was he stressed? How'd it go?" Laughing he motioned for her to settle down, "Whoa, our baby did absolutely fine today, though I'm sure his day will be a lot better if he could spend some time with his loving Mama and big brother before bedtime." She smiled, "Yeah, I'm just anxious. Thank you sweetie" grabbing the back of his head she kissed him. She then began taking her coat off while heading for the closet. I watched as Sam and his mom put their coats away and went upstairs.

While they were upstairs I lay there staring at the toys around me contemplating my next move. Honestly, I was coming up blank, I don't know how to communicate with these people. They keep talking like I'm the crazy one when in reality I'm surrounded by crazies. I huffed in frustration and closed my eyes, I could feel a headache approaching. I opened my eyes when I felt myself being lifted. It was David and he started bouncing me. I just lay on his shoulder irritated by this gripping headache. I wanted to pressure my temple to relieve some of the pain, but the best I could manage was holding my head for a few seconds before my arm got tired and gave way to gravity. When the bouncing started to worsen my headache a groan escaped my mouth and the bouncing stopped. David pulled me away from his shoulder to look at me. I was holding my head in pain as I stared back at him confused, he had a look of concern on his face. I'd roll my eyes if my head weren't hurting so much.

"Hey what's wrong muffin, hmm? Is your head hurting you?"

Instead of verbally answering, I nodded my head.

"Oh my poor baby~"

He held me to his chest this time supporting my head. He held my head and gently pressed his fingers along my scalp as he brushed through my hair. I hate to admit it but it felt amazing. I could feel the pain lessening but I'd prefer aspirin instead. As he pressed into my scalp I lay on his shoulder and closed my eyes. I could already feel the pain going away. I was slowly drifting into sleep when suddenly the rubbing stopped and I opened my eyes than seeing myself being placed back in the playpen. I hated that I felt a little disappointed, but the pain from the headache came back. I guess I didn't do a good enough job hiding the disappointment on my face because David bent down and started brushing his fingers through my hair again.

"I'm sorry baby, but Daddy needs to go cook. Just bare with it a little longer, later Mama's going to feed you a nice warm bottle before bedtime tonight, and I'll also tell her to rub your head just like this. I promise when you wake up tomorrow morning you'll feel sooo much better."

He then kissed my forehead and headed back into the kitchen. I just lay there and all I could think about was the weed hidden in the shoebox under my bed at home. Usually, when I get headaches or migraines I'd smoke some weed and it worked wonders, the least these people could do is give me some goddamn aspirin. I sighed and rolled onto my side and closed my eyes. I opened them as I heard footsteps behind me. I rolled back onto my back and above me stood Davids's wife. I could feel my headache worsen at the sight of her with that adoring grin directed at me. I noticed she had some kind of big pillow in her hand before I heard footsteps following her and next to her stood Sam. I just wanted to go to sleep and maybe when I woke up all of this would be a dream. But before I could even make an attempt I watched as the woman called David into the living room.

David took one look at what his wife was holding then bent down and picked me up and out of the playpen. I just dangled there for a few seconds confused before I was finally being put down onto a soft cushion. The playpen had been moved to the side and I watched as David and his wife were both bent down and pulling my legs through holes in the cushiony pillow. I had no idea what this thing was, but I guess it was to help me sit up because compared to when I tried to sit up watching cartoons on my own, my back felt more secure and stable. The cushion was very soft and comfortable kinda like the little plushie teddy bears David gave me to play with though it firmly hugged my body keeping me still and in place. Comfortable, of course, it was also very childish. It had a picture of a cat face on the front right above where my legs stuck out, and had two cat ears pointing out of the pillow. I was a bit intrigued so I grabbed one of the ears and began tugging on it. I've never seen anything like this before. Pulling my attention away from the seat was an octopus plushie waving in my face and the person holding it was Sam. His Mom was sitting next to him and David seemed to have disappeared again, probably back into the kitchen cooking. I felt frustrated. I wanted nothing more but to smack that toy out of Sam's hand and cuss him out, but for one, my head hurt like hell, and second, I remembered the plan. I need to earn their trust then get their phones, or at least find a loophole in their guard, then get out of here.