chapter twenty-six

Emmitt

....

I slowly woke to David and Autumn moving around the room. I watched them walk back and forth picking things up and moving things. I just watched in confusion for a few seconds before I finally decided to ask what was going on, but as soon as I opened my mouth to speak something fell out. Looking down I fell into shock at what it was. It was a pacifier. How long was it in my mouth, was it there the whole night? I had questions but the one thing I was positive of was that I didn't place the thing in there myself, these sneaky bastards. After the small shock, I looked up to see David looking at me with a smile on his face. He finally noticed I woke up and now I wished I could go back to sleep. He came towards me and a whine escaped me as he picked me up and hugged me to his chest. He rocked me and quietly spoke, "Did you finally wake up Baby? Hmm~" I didn't answer and he continued to talk without care, "You had a big day yesterday, I hope you're a bit less grumpy and are much happier today my little man." As he spoke he picked the pacifier up that fell from my mouth and tried to place it back in. I firmly turned my head away and after three more tries of him poking my mouth with the thing he finally gave up and opted to just clip the pacifier to my collar instead. He turned to his wife before speaking, "Autumn I'm gonna go ahead and get some food in Emmett's stomach real quick since he woke a bit late, as soon as I finish feeding him I'll  have the boys watch him, and come back up to finish helping you pack." She kept folding as she listened and nodded. She then reminded David before he left the room, "Don't forget to not give him bacon, and make sure you give him some of his vitamin D drips in his sippy cup." David just bounced me some more and in  a bit amused tone responded, "Don't worry Mama bear, Daddy bear's got this." She finally looked up at David at his response, she also had an amused smirk on her face, she chucked before speaking, "Oh really? Then maybe you should make sure you have this first." Autumn took a brown glass bottle from the side of the diaper bag and handed it to David. David looked down confused, in big letters the bottle read 'Infant Vitamin D Drips' David also chuckled and thanked his wife, kissing her. He then left the room and went down the stairs.

I wasn't prepared to be seen like this, I looked ridiculous all dressed in ducks with no pants and a pacifier hanging from my collar, you can even see the stupid diaper poking out the sides of the clothes. I just wanted to curl up and hide. The closer we went in the direction of where everyone was the more I tried to bury myself into David's chest. But unfortunately, of course, I was still very visible. I started hearing voices the closer we got and I couldn't help but let my curiosity get the best of me and peeked my head out of my hiding area looking around a little. As David walked around I caught a glimpse of Sam and his cousin, Ben, looking at each other's phones and talking to each other. I glared a bit in their direction, they're just living it up on the internet while I'm getting stuck taking naps, playing with toys, and watching cartoons. It's so fucking unfair, I hope they both drop their phones in a crap-filled toilet, well at least after I've called the police or someone for help first. Bitter I finally looked away and into the kitchen, the direction David was headed. The Doctor dude, Robert, and his wife seemed to be chattering away as they moved around the kitchen mixing, moving, chopping, and cooking. It was impressively effortless.

As soon as David stepped foot in the kitchen the conversation immediately halted their conversation and looked in our direction. First at David then the big embarrassing teen child in his arms. I quickly looked away to avoid any embarrassing eye contact. I heard a chuckle. First, they greeted David good morning then they both came closer to me and greeted me good morning. First Robert greeted me, "Good morning baby!" His wife spoke next, "I hope you had a really good night's sleep, my little nephew." I felt a kiss on the crown of my head. I kept my head hidden in David's shoulder and tried to ignore the two psychos. I heard their footsteps walk away and Aunt Marble began speaking to David again, "Was everything okay last night for the two of you? Emmett do fine?" I felt David shake his head before answering her questions, "Yep, everything was great. After a nice bath and a warm bottle, Emmett went right to sleep. He slept through the whole night straight, the little guy must have been exhausted after all the crying and being out of the house and everything. Let's just hope today he's feeling a bit better and opens up more to everyone. I want him to get more comfortable with being outside the house and being around the whole family." Next David's brother Robert spoke, " Yeah, I'm sure that a good night's sleep will have him in a way better mood today, yesterday he mad been a bit much." David agreed, "Let's hope so."