chapter eleven

Emmett

....

As soon as the man made it all the way down the stairs I could see a light on, I tensed. The man paused for a second after seeing the kitchen light on before he kept walking, I guessed he was surprised too. I heard him mumble something about meeting tomorrow but struggling to keep my head up, kept my focus on the kitchen. I watched as we got closer and closer and when the man finally turned the corner into the kitchen I was shocked. There was a kid standing in front of the fridge, he looked to be around thirteen to fourteen years old. The first thought to poped in my head was that they might have kidnapped another kid. The thought caused an unsettling twist in my stomach and I began to feel a little sick.

The man walked into the kitchen and when seeing the kid he called out to him,

"Hey, Sam, what are you doing up so late, don't you have school tomorrow?"

The kid turned around a bit surprised before giving an excited smile. He quickly walked towards David, and I felt my face grow hot. I looked down at myself and noticed I was in nothing but this damn diaper, my body exposed, when noticing I'd lost any will to look that kid in the eye and turned around letting my head fall on the man's shoulder. I couldn't help it, the embarrassment doesn't seem to be getting any easier, so I listened as the kid, I assumed name was Sam, footsteps stopped in front of this David guy. The excitement in his voice surprised me,

"Oh my Gosh! Dad is he up right now? I thought that I wasn't going to meet the little guy till tomorrow."

I quickly turned around to look at Sam and upon turning around it was really true, the expression on his face was pure excitement, his eyes were just filled with it as he looked at me. When seeing that expression I knew for sure he was just another crazy family member. Now that I think about it, I did hear David in his wife in the car earlier talking about someone named Sam, this must be him. I guess it wasn't just David and his wife in the house, but they had a son too. This realization just made me more irritated, I sent a glare at the Sam kid and turned back towards the dining room. I heard the kid chuckle behind me,

"Well someone is grumpy. Dad why'd you bring him downstairs, I think he tired?"

I felt the man holding me sigh before letting out a little laugh,

"Yeah, I'm sure he is tired, he woke me and your mom up this morning and threw a big tantrum when I was changing his diaper. I also think he's mostly grumpy because he's hungry though. Today he had a busy day, we had to go to Uncle Robs clinic to get his vaccinations and a quick check-up, after that he went right to sleep. We didn't want to wake him because he seemed to be really stressed at the clinic. Anyway, the point is he didn't get to eat so while you're down here go in the fridge and get one of his bottles out and heat it for your little brother."

I cringed as I heard the man say that, but I decided to not say anything, I just felt awkward and upset. They continued to talk and I listened.

"I wanted to play with Emmett when I got back from school today, but he was asleep, you know I've always wanted a little brother. I'm definitely going to play with Emmett tomorrow."

I felt the man's chest vibrate as he spoke again,

"I know Sam, I know but calm down and remember what we talked about before me and your mom brought him home? You need to be gentle with him, and patient. He just got here and everything is new, he needs to get to know us so he can trust us, you need to be a responsible older brother that he can depend on."

I scoffed at this and was ignored once again by everyone. The kid sighed and spoke,

"I know Dad, for like the hundredth time, I'll be careful. It's just, look at how adorable he is, I only got to see him while he was sleeping. Can I at least feed him before going to bed?"