Chapter 29- The Perks of Fire Breathing

After dinner, the four of them sat nervously apart in the common room. Nobody bothered them; none of the Gryffindors had anything to say to Harry or Killian any more, after all.

This was the first night Killian hadn't been upset by it.

Hermione was skimming through all her notes, hoping to come across one of the enchantments they were about to try to break. No one talked much. They were all thinking about what they were about to do.

Slowly, the room emptied as people drifted off to bed.

"Better get the cloak," Ron muttered, as Lee Jordan finally left, stretching and yawning.

Harry left quickly, and it wasn't long before he was back with the invisibility cloak.

"We'd better put the cloak on here, and make sure it covers all four of us – if Filch spots one of our feet wandering along on its own —"

"What are you doing?" said a voice from the corner of the room. Neville appeared from behind an armchair, clutching Trevor the toad, who looked as though he'd been making another bid for freedom.

Harry hurriedly put the cloak behind his back.

"Um... midnight yoga?" Killian offered, stretching out into an incredibly convincing warrior pose.

Neville stared at their guilty faces.

"You're going out again," he said.

"No, no, no," said Hermione. "No, we're not. Why don't you go to bed, Neville?"

Killian looked at the grandfather clock by the door. They couldn't afford to waste any more time, Snape might even now be playing Fluffy to sleep.

"You can't go out," said Neville, "you'll be caught again. Gryffindor will be in even more trouble."

"You don't understand," said Killian, "this is important."

But Neville was clearly steeling himself to do something desperate.

"I won't let you do it," he said, hurrying to stand in front of the portrait hole. "I'll — I'll fight you!"

The soft part of Killian just wanted to surrender and go up to bed at the look of determination on Neville's face.

"Neville, "Ron exploded, "get away from that hole and don't be an idiot —"

"Don't you call me an idiot!" said Neville. "I don't think you should be breaking any more rules!
And you were the one who told me to stand up to people!"

"Yes, but not to us," said Ron in exasperation.

"Neville, you don't know what you're doing." He took a step forward and Neville dropped Trevor the toad, who leapt out of sight. Killian nearly pounced after it.

"Go on then, try and hit me!" said Neville, raising his fists. "I'm ready!"

Harry turned to Hermione.

"Do something," he said desperately.

Hermione stepped forward.

"Neville," she said, "I'm really, really sorry about this."

She raised her wand.

"Petrificus Totalus!" she cried, pointing it at Neville.

Neville's arms snapped to his sides. His legs sprang together. His whole body rigid, he swayed where he stood and then fell flat on his face, stiff as a board.

Killian paled, whispering in horror, "We've just murdered Neville Longbottom."

Hermione huffed, "He's not dead, you nimrod!"