Chapter 4- The Sorting Hat

Author's note: Ok, so I'm guessing most chapters will be about as long as they have been. Close to 1,500 words. Also, I'm mainly going to follow the story line of the book (rather than the movie), just because it's easier to reference. Thanks and enjoy!

"Firs' years! Firs' years over here! All right there, Harry?" Hagrid stood towering over a large group of students with a lamp. "And Crow! The two've you have met then." Hagrid beamed at Harry and Killian.

"C'mon, follow me -- any more firs' years? Mind yer step, now! Firs' years follow me!" All of the first years tried not to slip and stumble on rocks.

"Killian... did Hagrid just call you Crow?" Ron asked. Killian blushed for a moment. "Yea. Hagrid was the one that found me in the Forbidden Forest, so he named me Crow." Ron stifled a laugh.

"Ye' all get yer firs' sight o' Hogwarts in a sec," Hagrid called over his shoulder, "jus' round this bend here." There was a loud "Oooooh!"

The narrow path had opened suddenly onto the edge of a great black lake. Perched atop a high mountain on the other side, its windows sparkling in the starry sky, was a vast castle with many turrets and towers.

"No more'n four to a boat!" Hagrid called, pointing to a fleet of little boats sitting in the water by the shore. Harry, Ron, and Killian were followed into their boat by Hermione. "Everyone in?" shouted Hagrid, who had a boat to himself. "Right then -- FORWARD!"

Timeskip:

Killian beamed as he saw Professor McGonnagal. The group of first years had been dropped of in the castle by Hagrid. "Welcome to Hogwarts," said Professor McGonagall.

"The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory, and spend free time in your house common room. The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rulebreaking will lose house points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup, a great honor. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours. The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting." She stared the group down with her judgmental glare.

Killian noticed Harry trying to flatten down his hair. "I shall return when we are ready for you," said Professor McGonagall. "Please wait quietly." With that, she left the room.

"How exactly do they sort us into houses?" Harry asked. "Some sort of test, I think. Fred said it hurts a lot, but I think he was joking." 'Test?!' Killian had remembered Dumbledore talk about being sorted, but he had never asked how.

The teachers at Hogwarts school had tried to educate Killian the best they could over the summer. Killian still had very limited knowledge. His stomach began to lurch.

Hermione started to whisper to others around her, wondering which spell she would need. Harry, Ron, and Killian tried not to listen to her. Suddenly, a huge band of ghosts came through the wall, as if it were completely normal.

"Forgive and forget, I say, we ought to give him a second chance --" "My dear Friar, haven't we given Peeves all the chances he deserves? He gives us all a bad name and you know, he's not really even a ghost -- I say, what are you all doing here?"