Chapter 11- Broomsticks

Hermione and Neville hadn't been too keen on speaking about the "incident" with the monster from the Forbidden corridor.

Hermione had been completely avoiding Killian and his friends since then, not daring to speak to them. They were all fine with it, considering she was horribly bossy. Killian thought she smelled to much like a library anyways.

About a week later, as the owls flooded into the Great Hall as usual, everyone's attention was caught at once by two long, thin packages carried by twelve large screech owls.

Killian was just as interested as everyone else to see what was in this large parcel, and was amazed when the owls soared down and dropped it right in front of him and Harry, knocking his food to the floor.

They had hardly fluttered out of the way when another owl dropped a letter on top of the parcel. The owls scurried off of the table due to Killian's growls. Harry ripped open the letter first, which was lucky, because it said:

DO NOT OPEN THE PARCEL AT THE TABLE. It contains two new Nimbus Two Thousands, but I don't want everybody knowing you two have got broomsticks or they'll all want one. Oliver Wood will meet you both tonight on the Quidditch field at seven o'clock for your first training session.
Professor McGonagall

Harry and Killian had difficulty hiding their glee as Harry handed the note to Ron for him to read. (Well Killian really didn't try to hide his excitement at all...)

"A Nimbus Two Thousand!" Ron moaned enviously. "I've never even touched one." They left the hall quickly, wanting to unwrap the broomsticks in private before their first class, but halfway across the entrance hall they found the way upstairs barred by Crabbe and Goyle.

Malfoy seized Harry's package and felt it. "That's a broomstick," he said, throwing it back to Harry with a mixture of jealousy and spite on his face. "You'll be in for it this time, Potter, first years aren't allowed them."

Malfoy then noticed the other package in Killian's hands, "You've got a broomstick too?!" Ron couldn't resist it. "It's not any old broomstick," he said, "it's a Nimbus Two Thousand. What did you say you've got at home, Malfoy? A Comet Two Sixty?" Ron grinned at his two friends.

"Comets look flashy, but they're not in the same league as the Nimbus." "What would you know about it, Weasley? You couldn't even afford half the handle," Malfoy snapped back.

"I suppose you and your brothers have to save up twig by twig." Killian jumped up in front of Malfoy, ready to fight, but Professor Flitwick appeared at Malfoy's elbow. "Not arguing, I hope, boys?" he squeaked. 'Great timing...'

"Potter and Draglore have both been sent a broomstick, Professor," said Malfoy quickly, obviously tattle-tailing . "Yes, yes, that's right," said Professor Flitwick, beaming at the two boys.

"Professor McGonagall told me all about the special circumstances. And what model are they?" "A Nimbus Two Thousand, sir," said Harry, fighting not to laugh at the look of horror on Malfoy's face.

"And it's really thanks to Malfoy here that I've got it," he added. Killian had to hold his breath to keep from exploding with laughter. After Professor Flitwick left, Killian stuck his tongue out at Malfoy before running off.

The three boys headed upstairs, smothering their laughter at Malfoy's obvious rage and confusion. "Well, it's true," Harry chortled as they reached the top of the marble staircase, "If he hadn't stolen Neville's Remembrall I wouln't be on the team...."

Killian giggled, "Yea, I suppose if he hadn't snatched Neville's shoe I wouldn't be on the team either. Remind me to thank him." They laughed. "So I suppose you think that's a reward for breaking rules?" came an angry voice from just behind them.