Chapter 14- Not all Teachers are Saints

Author's Note: Sorry, I'm very tired so I didn't have time to edit this chapter at all. I wanted to get the chapter up though, so here you go. ;)

As they entered November, the weather turned very cold. The mountains around the school became icy gray and the lake like chilled steel. Every morning the ground was covered in frost.

Hagrid could be seen from the upstairs windows defrosting broomsticks on the Quidditch field, bundled up in a long moleskin overcoat, rabbit fur gloves, and enormous beaverskin boots. The cold really didn't bother Killian though. He was used to the harsh winters in the Forbidden Forest.

The Quidditch season had begun. On Saturday, Killian and Harry would be playing in their first match after weeks of training: Gryffindor versus Slytherin. If Gryffindor won, they would move up into second place in the house championship.

Hardly anyone had seen Killian or Harry play because Wood had decided that, as their secret weapons, the two should be kept, well, secret.

But the news that Killian was playing Chaser and Harry was playing Seeker had leaked out somehow, and Killian didn't know which was worse -- people telling him he'd be brilliant or people telling him they'd be running around underneath him holding a mattress.

It was really lucky that the boys now had Hermlone as a friend. Killian and Harry didn't know how they'd have gotten through all his homework without her, what with all the last-minute Quidditch practice Wood was making them do.

Killian was quite smart, and he was talented in his magic. However, his handwriting, spelling, and attention span all needed work... Hermione had also lent them Quidditch Through the Ages, which turned out to be a very interesting read, for Harry anyways.

He was really the only one out of the pair that read it, considering Killian avoided reading whenever possible. Harry had learned several things from the book. He learned that Seekers were generally the smallest and fastest players on the team.

He seemed puzzled as to why he was chosen to be the seeker and not Killian. Killian was leaner and just a few inches shorter than Harry. But Harry also knew he could tackle you with the weight of 10 bludgers.

Hermione had become a bit more relaxed about breaking rules since the boys had saved her from the mountain troll, and she was much nicer for it.

The day before Killian and Harry's first Quidditch match the three of them were out in the freezing courtyard during break, and she had conjured them up a bright blue fire that could be carried around in a jam jar.

They were standing with their backs to it, getting warm, when Snape crossed the yard. Killian noticed at once that Snape was limping. Harry, Ron, Killian and Hermione moved closer together to block the fire from view; they were sure it wouldn't be allowed.

Unfortunately, something about their guilty faces caught Snape's eye. He limped over. He hadn't seen the fire, but he seemed to be looking for a reason to tell them off anyway. A sour look crossed Killian's face.

"What's that you've got there, Potter?" It was Quidditch Through the Ages. Harry showed him. "Library books are not to be taken outside the school," said Snape. "Give it to me. Five points from Gryffindor." Harry gave him the book.

Killian tightened his fist and took a step forward. Snape raised an eyebrow, "Is something the matter, Draglore?" Harry gripped the boys sleeve from behind, warning him.

Killian realized that telling off Snape would just lose their house more points. "Nothing at all, sir." Killian replied, gritting his teeth into a smile.

Snape seemed unsatisfied. "You know Draglore, you really should be wearing your robe... It'd be tragic if you caught a cold before your first Quidditch match." And with that, the man limped away with Harry's book.

"He's just made that rule up," Harry muttered angrily, "Wonder what's wrong with his leg?" "Dunno, but I hope it's really hurting him," said Ron bitterly. Killian threw his arms in the air.

"I swear Harry, I was just one second away from clawing his-" "But he is right about one thing," Hermione said in her factual tone, "Killian you really should be wearing your robes. Honestly, how are you not freezing? It wouldn't be very responsible getting sick before your match." Killian grunted, annoyed that he had been interrupted.

"It's barely even cold out here. You're not my mother Hermione..." Killian whined. "It's ridiculously cold out here! I really think you're inhuman..." Ron muttered.

Suddenly, he realized the reality of his words. Killian laughed, "Pffft, I think you're really on to something Ronald."

Timeskip:
The Gryffindor common room was very noisy that evening. Harry, Ron, Killian and Hermione sat together next to a window. Hermione was checking their Charms homework for them.

She would never let them copy ("How will you learn?"), but by asking her to read it through, they got the right answers anyway. She always told Killian to rewrite it and make it look neater when she handed it back. He never did.

She already gave him enough trouble with his spelling. Harry sat there, looking troubled. Killian was about to ask him what was wrong, but he quickly stood up and announced he was going to get his book back from Snape. "Better you than me." Ron and Hermione spoke.

"Now your talking!" Killian said, springing up from his seat. "I'll be your back up! Let's go!" Killian was practically out of the common room by then. Harry chased after him. Maybe he shouldn't have told Killian he was going.

They made their way down to the staffroom and Harry knocked. There was no answer. He knocked again. Nothing. Perhaps Snape had left the book in there? It was worth a try. Harry pushed the door ajar and peered inside -- and a horrible scene met his eyes.

Snape and Filch were inside, alone. Snape was holding his robes above his knees. One of his legs was bloody and mangled. Filch was handing Snape bandages. "Blasted thing," Snape was saying. "How are you supposed to keep your eyes on all three heads at once?"

Harry tried to shut the door quietly, but -- "YOU TWO!" Snape's face was twisted with fury as he dropped his robes quickly to hide his leg.

Harry gulped. "I just wondered if I could have my book back." "GET OUT! OUT!" Harry shut the door quickly.

Killian stood there, mouth agape. "RUDE!" he shouted.

Harry frantically grabbed Killian's wrist and sprinted up the stairs before either of them could lose any more points from Gryffindor. "What was that for? I was about to jump in there and get your book back!" Killian shouted.

Harry nervously shushed him. "Didn't you realize what was going on?" he asked. Killian tilted his head. "Never mind," Harry sighed, "Come on, let's go." They made their way back to the common room. "Did you get it?" Ron asked as Harry joined them.

"What's the matter?" In a low whisper, Harry told them what he'd seen. "You know what this means?" he finished breathlessly.

"He tried to get past that three-headed dog at Halloween! That's where he was going when we saw him -- he's after whatever it's guarding! And I'd bet my broomstick he let that troll in, to make a diversion!"

Killian furrowed his brow, "Now that you mention it, I think I do remember smelling some of that dog off Snape when he came into the girl's bathroom that night... I guess I was so out of it that I didn't think about it too much..." Hermione's eyes were wide.

"No -- he wouldn't," she said. "I know he's not very nice, but he wouldn't try and steal something Dumbledore was keeping safe."

"Honestly, Hermione, you think all teachers are saints or something," snapped Ron.

"I'm with them. I wouldn't put anything past Snape. But what's he after? What's that dog guarding?"

Timeskip:
Killian couldn't go to sleep that night. (Of course it might've had something to do with Neville's snoring.) His head buzzed with ideas on what that dog could possibly be guarding.

He almost had the nerve to get up and take care of that dog right now. But he figured Harry and the others would be mad if he went without telling them.

He realized he needed to get some sleep for his Quidditch match in the morning. He took his blanket and crawled up onto the windowsill, finally able to get some rest.