Chapter 18- An Unexpected Gift

Author's Note: Haven't updated in a while. Sorry. Just been kinda busy. Keep pestering me and I'll update, lol.

Once the holidays had started, Ron, Killian, and Harry were having too good a time to think much about Flamel. They had the dormitory to themselves and the common room was far emptier than usual, so they were able to get the good armchairs by the fire.

They sat by the hour eating anything they could spear on a toasting fork after Killian had lit the fire with his breath-- bread, English muffins, marshmallows-- Squirrels... (Only Killian ate those...)

They also spent time plotting ways to get Malfoy expelled, which were fun to talk about even if they wouldn't work.

Ron also started teaching Harry wizard chess. Killian watched as well, but he quickly decided the game was a bit too complicated for his taste.

It was exactly like Muggle chess except that the figures were alive, which made it a lot like directing troops in battle. Ron's set was very old and battered.

Like everything he owned, it had once belonged to someone else in his family -- in this case, his grandfather. However, old chessmen weren't a drawback at all. Ron knew them so well he never had trouble getting them to do what he wanted.

Harry played with chessmen Seamus Finnigan had lent him, and they didn't trust him at all. He wasn't a very good player yet, and they kept
shouting different bits of advice at him, which was confusing.

"Don't send me there, can't you see his knight? Send him, we can afford to lose him."

Killian proceeded to get into fights with the little chessmen, telling them not to be so rude to Harry.

On Christmas Eve, Killian went to bed looking forward to the next day for the food and the fun, but not expecting any presents at all.

He was excited enough without the idea of presents. It was his first real Christmas in a long time.

When Killian woke early in the morning, however, the first thing he saw was a small pile of packages at the foot of his bed.

"Merry Christmas," said Ron sleepily as Harry scrambled out of bed and pulled on his bathrobe.

"You, too," said Harry. "Will you look at this? I've got some presents!"

Killian looked over at Harry, who also had a small gathering of presents near his bed.

"What did you expect, turnips?" said Ron, turning to his own pile, which was a lot bigger than Harry and Killian's.

Killian swung his legs over the side of his bed. "Happy Christmas!" he said, bouncing with excitement.

Ron looked over at Killian and laughed. "Your eyes just turned yellow."

Killian grinned. "I can't help it! I'm super—"

Suddenly, a tiny package right on top of the pile caught his eye. He slowly bent over and picked it up. It was a tiny, baby blue box wrapped with a silver ribbon.

Killian curiously grabbed the white tag and flipped it over to read—

"No way....."

In neat, cursive letters, the name read:

"Draco Malfoy..." Killian blurted.

Ron made a strangled noise and fell off the side of his bed with a thud.

"Malfoy? That's from Malfoy....? Draco Malfoy?!" Harry asked, stepping closer.

(A/N: When your phone keeps trying to correct Malfoy to Malloy -.-)