Deadlines (Yoongi)

Yoongi's POV.

A comeback always meant apprehension, hopes, fears and dreams, and counting the days until they got to show Army just how hard they worked. Comeback meant liberation, stepping back and watching the fans' reactions until they got busy again with promos and interviews. Yoongi knew the pattern quite well by now, and yet it never felt easier. He had been in this industry for years, and the only thing he got from his experience was the constant pressure to do better. He knew Army would be understanding -they always were so kind to them, but he felt the need to prove himself every time. Perhaps this was the cost of their success. People had expectations now. Don't let me shine.

It wasn't getting any easier, and there were just a few days left until the deadline. The song felt incomplete. Somehow something wasn't satisfying and he kept wondering if it was the lyrics or the beat, or perhaps the timing he set for the bridge? Namjoon had loved the beat and Jungkook had complimented the lyrics of the two first verses, so he knew it must be something else. Maybe he was the problem. The others had managed to send their songs on time, even the younger members of the team had contributed this time. He really needed to be done before Monday morning, he couldn't risk the whole album being late because of him. But a part of Yoongi also wanted to do it on his own since the others did, and he couldn't help but be angry at himself for being so stubborn. It's been a while since he's been under that much stress. Yes, a night at the studio should do it. And so he headed to the company, walking under the sunset, coffee in hand.

He sat at his desk, observing the beige wall in front of him and every single one of its imperfections. He could hear the sound of the air conditioning turning off once again and his cold hand made its way to grab at the cup sitting to his right when he realised he had emptied it a while ago. When did it get so dark outside? He sighed, putting his pencil down and pushing a strand of hair behind his ear. He had tried writing on loose sheets of papers and in his notebook. He even had his computer opened in front of him, but... nothing. He hadn't been able to write a single word. Let's grab another coffee. The dark-haired man stood up from his chair slowly and stretched. He didn't know how much longer he'd be sitting there tonight, but he was ready to spend the whole weekend here if he needed to be. His shoulder ached and his eyes were burning under his lids when he closed them, but the weight of his responsibilities made sure to keep him awake. The rapper sighed and made his way out of Genius Lab, turning right and heading down the corridor to the vending machine that would provide him with another cup of much-needed caffeine. Yoongi took a sip and relaxed. He checked his phone, making sure he hadn't missed anything important, and when he concluded that no one had tried contacting him, he turned it back off. Do not disturb. He was busy after all.

The air conditioning turned back on and the sound made him jump in his chair. He had managed to add a few harmonies in the chorus and he felt a bit better about the song in general, but he still wasn't done composing the lyrics and he really couldn't tell if he needed to change something about the instrumental track first. Deep down, Yoongi knew that it was only supposed to be a demo, but he always praised himself about how well-produced his songs were and normally they'd go straight to recording with the members once he submitted a project. He could tell this one wouldn't  be enough of a finished product to have the same effect and he felt the frustration bite at him. He grabbed his mug and stared at the bottom of it with a pout. Already empty? So he headed back outside in his slippers, turned right and stopped in front of the same vending machine, crossing the janitor on his way and bowing politely when he did. The old man seemed surprised to see him but said nothing and bowed in return. Coffee in hand, Yoongi made a quick bathroom stop before heading back to Genius Lab. How pale his face had looked in the mirror... the thought of himself looking as tired as he felt made him smile briefly, and then he was back to work.