Twenty-Six

MAYA

"Phew, okay, just a few more boxes," I sighed, leaning on top of the box I'd just stacked.

"Hey," Gyeongmin breathed out in a similar position. "Maybe you should take a break."

I huffed, "I'm fine. I'll feel even better once all of this is done."

"Okay, so we'll finish -- after you take a rest." She stood up straight, hands on her hips. "I could really do without the lecture your husband will give me when you pass out again."

"I'm not gonna pass out!"

"You might! Just saying, track record, sis."

I rolled my eyes, walking over to the counter to grab a water bottle. "Fine, but you're taking a break with me." I tossed the bottle to her before grabbing one for myself and walking over to the couch that had been delivered earlier today. We both plopped down together, each taking a well-earned sip.

"You know mom is gonna want you two to host Christmas here every year once she sees this place right?"

I chuckled, "Noted."

We sat there for a bit, the two of us going over the game plan for the rest of the things we needed to bring inside, most of which belonged to Joon. He'd been adamant about bringing this or packing that from his old room to decorate what would become his at-home studio, along with hoodies, shirts, and slippers I'd stolen from his over the last few months. Other boxes were filled with things my mother and father-in-law had bought for the baby and the nursery and the few things I'd either brought with me when I moved or accumulated during my stay.

"Where is that oaf anyway? He should be back by now," she questioned, head thrown back against the couch.

"You know your brother; he could be anywhere from his studio to having an internal debate about which protein shake flavor to try next."

"True."

Not a moment later, he came struggling through the front door with bags of groceries in one arm and heaving a bike inside with the other. "Hey," he huffed after he'd set everything down in a haphazard heap.

His sister stared at him in confusion. "How did you get all that stuff here on a bike? Never mind that, where did you get a bike?"

"I stopped by the dorm to grab some things. Jin Hyung says hi, by the way." He stopped, gulping down some water from where he now stood in the kitchen. He looked back at Minnie, taking another long sip before continuing. "Has she been taking breaks?"

 I sighed. "Joon, I'm okay-"

"And has she been drinking enough water?" He added, giving me a look that said he knew how I could get all too well.

"Yes she has, against her better wishes, but I did what I could."

"I am sitting right here-" I entered, getting cut off by Joon once more.

" Looking gorgeous as ever, but we both know without your babysitter, you forget to take it easy my love."

I knew he did it out of love, but dad-to-be Joon was really working me up a tree. To which I kept having to remind him, I'm pregnant, not dying. If it wasn't assigning Gyeongmin to my every move, it was the constant texts asking about me and the baby like he hadn't just seen me that morning. And maybe it's the nerves of a human growing inside me or the fact that this creature refuses to let me go one night without doing flips in my stomach, but if I have to go one more day with him going overboard, I'm gonna rip my hair out. 

Later, after Joon and Minnie had finished grabbing the rest of the boxes, he came and found me in the nursery, hanging up little things here and there in an attempt to be somewhat productive without them telling me I need to sit down every five minutes. He came up behind me, chin pressed down into my shoulder as his arms snaked around me to softly cup my growing baby bump. "Hey," he hummed in my ear. I'd be lying if I said the grumble in his voice didn't still dop things to me, no matter how annoyed I was with him.

"Hey," I breathed out resting one arm on his and reaching back with the other to cradle his head in my palm.

"You okay?" He asked, turning his head to place a soft kiss on my palm. I simply nodded in an effort to keep the peace. "Maya... I know you baby. What's up?" He turned me around in his arms, using his hands on the small of my back to pull me into him.

"You want me to be honest?" I replied, eyebrow raised?

"I would greatly appreciate it, my love."

I looked down, resting my forehead on his shoulder. "You are driving me crazy?"

"Oh am I ?"

"Joon don't play coy, I'm serious. Like..." I sighed. "I know that you worry because you care and because so much has been going on and you just want to make sure I'm not overdoing it, for me or the baby. I know you do it out of love." I looked up at him, taking his hands in mine." But I'm gonna go insane if you keep telling me to sit down and do nothing. We both know that is humanly impossible for me."

He smiled, kissing my temple. "Noted."

I paused, kinda stunned at the short response. "Noted? W- That's it?"

He nodded. "Yep. Noted. I'll go easier on you, or at least I promise to try." He brought our entwined hands up to his chest, resting them against his heart. "You're right, I do worry. So much. But I also know just how strong you are and how strong you try to be. You can be so hard on yourself sometimes, my world. So here's the deal," he began. "I'll go easier on you, but you need to go easier on yourself too. Meaning listen to your body and don't overwork yourself, okay?"

A smile teased at my lips. For some reason, I did not think this would be this easy. "Okay."

"Deal?"

"Deal." He kissed my forehead once more, before leaning down and giving my lips a kiss with his slightly chapped, plump ones. "I love you."

"And I love you," I answered, standing on my toes to touch my forehead to his.

After a long day of work, we had gotten everything mostly unpacked and put away. We went to sleep that night for the first time in our new home together, snuggled up with Joonie's hand on my belly. However, neither of us knew the storm that would be awaiting over the next few months.

A/N: Hello lovely people. Firstly I wanted to say happy holidays, this chapter was supposed to get released for Christmas but things have been hectic as per usual. Secondly, thank you all so much for the love and support you have continued to give me and this story. You have all been so freaking patient with me and I genuinely couldn't even begin to explain how grateful I am to all of you for comments and votes and messages. You guys always manage to make me laugh with your reactions which really have helped me through some dark days. This year has gone by so so quickly. I've done a lot of work on myself mentally and coming back to writing, and especially writing this story has felt so amazing. But enough about me, again thank you all so much. I can't wait to keep writing Clandestine and maybe even releasing another story in the coming year. 

Love you all,

A.R.C