Twelve

MAYA

"Kim Nam Jun you have exactly two minutes to explain what the fuck he is doing here!" I yelled as he took a seat on the bed. My face was still on fire due to the fact that the Kim Taehyung had just seen me in lace and silk lingerie. "Why is he here ?"

"I-"My brows arched as he stuttered. "I uh-". His mouth opened and closed, no real words coming out. "I'm sorry, baby."

I sighed taking a seat on the small, heart-shaped sofa. God has the best sense of humor.

"Okay start from the beginning; how long has he known?" My husband winced. "Joon-"

"For about a month...maybe a little bit more..."His face stayed contorted like he'd just chugged the world's  sourest glass ion lemonade.

I scoffed. "So that's why you've been acting so weird?" I thought out loud.

Joon was terrible at keeping secrets, which made our secret marriage all the more ironic. His clumsiness led him to leave subtle clues that something was up. A misplaced receipt or making 'important' calls while he thought I was sleep. Hell, he forgot to exit off the page for the florist that one time he sent me flowers for my birthday...and then left his unlocked phone on my dresser.

It was part of the ins and outs if Namjoon to be forgetful over simple things. I should have seen this coming from a mile away.

"Yes?"

I shook my head, but couldn't help the smile that slipped onto my face as I thought about it. He'd been worried about me accidentally spilling the beans to my kpop-stanning friends, yet he'd been the first to let the cat out of the bag.

"So how did he find out? Did you forget to lock you phone again?" I teased. His eyes narrowed.

"That's how you knew?!" It was hard sometimes to remember who was the oldest between us.

"Yes, you five-year old," I laughed. "But that's besides the point, what I wanna know is why Tae is crashing our romantic weekend for two."

A crooked grin flashed across his face. "I'd tell you, but it's so stupid, you'd laugh."

" 어 그래서?" (Oh, is that so?)

"Yes, it is." I walked over, sitting myself down on his empty lap to which he nuzzled his head into my chest. "I really am sorry, Maya," he mumbled after a beat of silence. "I knew how much this meant to you."

I shrugged. There really was no point in being mad at him. Living with seven people and keeping a secret was no doubt always going to be harder than living thousands of miles from anyone who you could spill the metaphorical beans to.

That didn't mean it felt any better.

"It's okay--honestly it would've happened sooner or later. You spend every minute of every day living with it; I mean I at least can go home and not have to worry about slipping up since I'm with your parents."

"That doesn't mean I get a pass--at least it shouldn't..." he groaned, sitting up straight to look me in the face. "When we got together, when you agreed to live this life, I agreed that I would keep this a secret on my end too. "He pointed accusingly towards himself. "I was so hard on you about telling your friends and your family about us. I left you all alone for almost two years with no-one to talk to about this except for me, only for me to be careless and let him over hear us talking on the phone, like none of it even mattered--Aren't you mad at me? Doesn't that upset you?"

Joon's voice strained as he spoke his mind. The rasp in his deep tone rang out at he criticized himself. Brows furrowed and eyes narrowed as he tried to contain his frustration.