Chapter Three

Azriel and Davina had sat in silence for a while. Neither wanting to speak. It wasn't long until the other members of the house began sitting around the table. Davina met Elain, Feyre and a fierce girl called Amren, she was introduced to Cassian and told about a woman called Mor who was away on business. Rhysand introduced himself as well, Davina apologised to him, saying that she didn't mean to snap and take out her anger on him, Rhysand simply dismissed it with a wave of his hand.

Dinner was nice. The food was delicious, freshly roasted vegetables and cooked meat that made Davina's mouth water, she hadn't eaten this well in what felt like an age. However, Rhysand kept trying to meddle in Davina's mind, she could feel his presence and would immediately kick him out, sending a glare across the table. If that wasn't infuriating enough, the looks that were passed between Elain and Azriel were driving Davina mad. It was so obvious they liked each other that it was sickening, she almost slammed down her glass too hard at the thought. They should just make out and get it over with, Davina had thought, she told herself it only upset her because of how distracting it was.

"Davina", Rhysand purred, drawing her attention away from Elain, "may I ask you a few questions?"

"What? Couldn't find them in my mind?" Davina snapped, but was shocked with the amount of fierceness that was in her voice.

Rhysand raised an eyebrow but didn't say anything. Of course, Davina knew that they would need to ask her questions, she had only hoped that it wouldn't be so soon.

"Sorry", Davina sighed, "continue".

Rhysand straightened himself in his chair, going into High Lord mode, Davina assumed. Any other conversation at the table had halted, all eyes were on her.

"I understand that this was all probably very traumatic for you", he began.

Davina had the urge to roll her eyes. He explained it as though Davina were a little girl who had lost her teddy not an Illyrian who had lost her wings.

"But, we must know how you found yourself in that predicament", Rhysand said.

When Davina didn't say anything immediately, he continued.

"Illyrians are brutal, but, this", he said gesturing to her lack of wings, "is the worst punishment I have ever seen, what did you do to deserve that?"

"Rhys", Feyre hissed.

Davina straightened herself, matching Rhysand. She looked him in the eye, unwavering from the challenge.

"My camp was always one of the worst", Davina began, she saw Cassian nod his head in agreement, "I did nothing no Illyrian female has always wanted to do".

"Which is?" Rhysand pried.

"I tried to teach myself how to fight", Davina sighed, "I practiced at night when I thought nobody would see me, I went deep into the woods were nobody travels".

"But you were caught", Rhysand finished.

"Yes, I was caught", Davina didn't allow herself to return to that place in her mind, she detached herself from her emotions as she told the story, "my father was always a cruel man, he does not take lightly to imperfections and disobedience".

Davina noticed that the table was hanging on her every word, it frightened her to think so many people cared, no, she corrected herself, they don't really care.

"I was a walking imperfection upon my father's reputation and, therefore, I was always punished the most. When he found out what I'd been doing, he knew that his regular beatings wouldn't be enough".