Chapter Forty-Two

"He said his first word the other day", Feyre said as they watched Nyx crawl around on the living room floor.

"What did he say?" Davina asked.

She was glad she could sit and catch up with her friends, she was surprised by how much she'd missed out on.

"He said dad", Feyre said rolling her eyes, "he already looks too much like his father, I was hoping he'd say my name first".

Davina laughed, "I'm sure Rhys was thrilled".

"He's been boasting about it for ages", Mor chimed in, "it's been insufferable".

Nyx babbled incoherently as he watched the fireplace with curiosity, Feyre kept a close eye on him.

"What about you, Davina?" Mor asked.

"Huh?" She said confused, she'd zoned out while watching Nyx and wasn't keeping track of the conversation.

"Any chance of a little Azriel running around?"

Davina visibly blanched at the thought. It's not that she didn't want kids eventually, but the thought of throwing a child into the mix when they were both so busy seemed foolish.

"Not a chance", Davina replied swiftly, "Azriel and I haven't even spoken about it, and it's far too soon to be thinking about that. I want another hundred years child-free before I even start thinking about it".

Mor laughed at Davina's rushed answer.

"I'm only teasing", she said giggling behind her hand, "you are both far too busy for a child".

Davina relaxed after that. She had never really thought about kids, never even considered it to be apart of her future. She supposed one day she might want them, but she wanted to be the best mother she could and right now that wasn't possible.

"Rhys and I are trying for our second", Feyre said smiling to herself.

Davina pretended she didn't see Nesta roll her eyes from beside Feyre.

"I'd like a girl", Feyre said softly, "and this time we are more prepared with the birth".

All this talk of children and babies was making Davina dizzy.

"Wine?", she said leaning forward and grabbing the bottle from the coffee table.

"Yes please", Nesta mumbled grumpily.

Davina quickly poured them both a glass as Mor and Feyre gushed over how much Nyx had grown. Nesta knocked hers back quickly and Davina followed suit.

"Children are disgusting", Nesta mumbled under her breath.

Davina stifled a laugh, "not a fan?"

"They get their grimy fingers on everything, they gross me out", Nesta whispered so Feyre wouldn't overhear them.

"I take it Feyre isn't putting you on babysitting duty any time soon", Davina teased.

"I'd make an excuse if she even tried".

Davina laughed at that, picturing Nesta fleeing from Nyx whenever she was asked to help out. She could envision that if Nesta had children they'd be well disciplined and far scarier that Nyx and his big purple eyes.

Davina and Nesta relaxed for a while after that, Nesta told Davina of how training was going at Wren-hill and how more female Illyrians find their way to the camp each day. It was encouraging for Davina to know that her plan had been a success, there was still loads of work to go but she was only even more excited to get started.

Davina looked at the clock that hung above the fireplace, it had been two hours since the boys left to have their snowball fight.

"How long does this tradition take?" Davina asked aloud.

Mor shrugged, "it varies, but it shouldn't be too long. Should we place bets?"

"On what?"

"Who wins".

——————

"I clearly hit you!" Cassian shouted, gesturing wildly towards Rhysand's chest.

"You did not! That snow has been there for ages!" Rhys shouted back.

Azriel rolled his eyes from his seat in the tree above. Idiots, they were both idiots. Did they truely think they were smart? Especially when they were shouting that loud and Azriel had been resting in his vantage point for almost twenty minutes.

"It was a square hit! I should get points for that!" Cassian continued to argue.

From Azriel's perspective, Cassian clearly hit Rhys. Their High Lord was just too prideful to admit defeat. Not to worry, Azriel thought, he'd clobber them both in a minute.

Cassian and Rhys continue to argue while Azriel held two snowballs in his palms. He crouched down low, ready to jump and get them in the face. He loved his brothers, he truely did, but they were terrible at snowball fights.

In one swift motion, Azriel jumped down from the tree, but before he could hit them with a snowball each, they'd stepped back and Azriel crashed face first into the snow. It took two seconds before his brothers began throwing snow at him. With a face full of snow and snow being thrown at his back, Azriel yielded.

"Alright! Alright!" He said rolling over on the ground.

Cassian and Rhys began laughing as Azriel wiped the snow from his face and hair.

"And Azriel loses", Cassian said smiling from ear to ear, "what a tragic loss".

"I thought we weren't allowed to team up", Azriel said pointing an accusing finger between the two, "isn't this against the rules".

"Don't be a sore loser, Az", Rhys said crossing his arms.

Azriel thought that it was rather unfortunate his High Lord was so naive, because as he spoke Cassian revealed the snowball that was behind his back. Cassian threw with full force and the snowball slammed straight into Rhys' face.

Rhysand stood in shock for a moment as Cassian laughed gleefully, Azriel even snickered a little bit.

"You bastard!" Rhys hissed, "I thought we had a deal!"

Cassian bellowed a laugh, "two wins in a row! I'm on a roll!"

Cassian is referring to last years match when Rhys and Azriel had been targeting each other so hard that Cassian didn't need to do anything to win.

Azriel peeled himself off the ground, brushing the snow from his pants as Rhys wiped his face.

"Sauna?" Azriel asked.

"Yes please", Rhys grumbled as they made their way back to the cabin.

A/N: Happy Winter Solstice!