Chapter Forty-Three

So who won?

Davina asked Azriel through their bond. It was strange the way the bond worked, they could speak to each other and send the other images but it was always echoey and blurry. It wasn't anything like the clear and loud daemati connection.

Cassian did.

The distaste was evident through his tone.

Shame, I had bets on Rhys.

You bet on us?

Obviously. Although, unfortunately I now owe Mor 50 bucks.

Azriel's laugh echoed through her mind. An idea formed in Davina's head, perhaps it was immature but she couldn't wait to see Azriel's reaction. Subtly, Davina sent Azriel an image of them the night prior, naked and breathing heavily as Davina rode Azriel.

Cauldron Davina!

Azriel gasped down the bond, she could feel the waves of arousal that he subconsciously sent down the bond.

I'm bored, Az. Want to meet me in the guest bedroom?

Azriel didn't respond but she heard his hurried clattering in the sauna room. Davina laughed to herself as she casually made her way to the bedroom.

—————

Cassian and Rhysand sauntered into the living room where Feyre, Mor and Nesta were seated. The girls were laughing at something causing Rhys to raise a brow.

"What are you laughing at? Also do you know where Azriel went?" Rhysand asked casually.

Rhys' question was answered when groans were heard from down the hallway. The girls burst out laughing and Cassian pretended to gag. Rhysand internally cringed at the noise.

"Who wants to drink on the porch?" He suggested, quickly snatching up a bottle of whiskey.

The other hastily agreed, dragging chairs and blankets out to the large porch. The group passed around the aged whiskey, soaking in the view of pillowy snow and enjoying the silence.

"Is Davina returning to work?" Nesta asked after a few moments of silence.

Rhys shrugged, "I'm assuming so, Wren-hill is her idea".

Nesta's lips thinned, "we only have one more camp to go before our job is done".

Rhysand watched the way Nesta got nervous, a small ounce of guilt passing over her features.

"And it's Davina's old camp".

Rhys sighed, running a hand through his hair and taking a swig from the whiskey bottle.

"I'm sure it will be fine. Davina is stronger than she was before, I trust that you'll be by her side if anything goes wrong", he said.

"We'll protect her", Cassian said sitting up straighter, "I know what it's like returning to your old camp".

When Rhysand had first appointed Cassian general, he had worried that his old sentiments might get in the way of his work. However, if anything it helped, Cassian could relate to the Illyrians more than anyone else and although he was a bastard, Rhys suspected that the young Illyrians respected him more than anyone else.

"I think she will be okay", Feyre spoke up from Rhysand's side, "we just have to be honest with her".

"Honest with who?"

Everyone pivoted to see a slightly dishevelled Davina entering the porch. Rhys noticed a very...relaxed looking Azriel behind her.

"Well, well, well", Cassian said sitting up, "look who it is, the couple that forced us to sit on the porch".

Davina blushed as Azriel put an arm around her waist and pulled her closer.

"Suck my dick, Cassian", Azriel grumbled.

Cassian smirked, "isn't that what Davina is for-"

Before he could finish the sentence Azriel threw a pillow directly at his face, making Cassian laugh loudly.

"You lost the last fight, brother, I wouldn't be starting more", Cassian said winding up to throw the pillow back.

Nesta rolled her eyes and mumbled, "boys", before drinking more whiskey.

While Cassian and Azriel tussled each other near the edge of the balcony, Davina settled herself into a chair. Rhysand took a calming breath. Being High Lord had many perks, but delivering bad news was never one of them.

"Davina", he began, getting her attention, "it's important you know that upon your return to work you'll have to visit your old camp".

A flash of fear crossed over her features but she quickly disregarded it.

"It's our last camp to scout recruits from", Nesta added, "then we just have to train them up to beat those Illyrian bastards".

"Hey!", Cassian grumbled, "we're not all like that".

His momentary change in focus meant Azriel could easily push him off the edge of the porch. Cassian, of course, caught himself with his wings before landing safely in his chair.

"We just want to make sure you're up for the challenge", Rhysand continued, ignoring his brother's antics.

Davina nodded once, "of course I am. I will need to return there someday".

A/N: Hey! Sorry for not updating this story a lot recently and also sorry for the short chapter. Not many more chapters to go I'm afraid. I hope you all have a fabulous day!