Chapter Fifteen

It was Starfall and Davina had been invited to celebrate with the Inner Circle. At first she had declined, opting to have a quiet night on her balcony that include a glass of wine and leftover pizza, but Cassian had convinced her to join, it would be her first ever Starfall in Velaris. Davina had managed to find a decent dress with the little money and time she had. It was a simple black dress, it was a halter neck with a teardrop shaped hole that revealed a small amount of cleavage. She chose the dress because the back hid her scars, but it made her feel confident, she had never worn a dress that hugged her body like this one did. She felt powerful.

Davina did the last finishing touches on her hair while Azriel waited for her in the kitchen. Once Davina was ready she took a deep breath and exited her room. When she entered the run-down kitchen Azriel was leaning against the counter, surveying her entrance. He was wearing a black button-down shirt and black pants, he looked absolutely delicious.

"You look fucking beautiful", he said breathlessly.

Davina blushed, "thanks, you look handsome, shadowsinger".

Azriel laughed, "I wear similar clothes on a daily basis".

"Then you must always be handsome", Davina smirked.

She had no idea if her idea of flirting was anywhere near the standards Azriel was used to. Davina had always thought he must get loads of females, it angered her to think about anyone else touching him. She would have to reel that in for the party.

Azriel smirked, "we should meet the others before we are late".

Davina wished she could attend Starfall with Azriel as her mate. But, she had to tell him of the bond for that to occur, not tonight though, it was her first Starfall, she didn't want to taint it with memories of rejection.

"Let's go", Davina said gracefully taking Azriel's arm as he led her out of the apartment. She felt like royalty.

It was strange, being so friendly with Azriel and yet yearning for him on a level deeper than she had ever experienced. She was unsure what passed as crossing the line, now that they had kissed what was too far? Or by some slim chance did Azriel want everything she wanted too?
She felt as though they were dancing around each other. Everything was too complicated. Too much was happening. Davina had no doubt that her bond with Azriel would go untouched for a while.

As the pair arrived at the Starfall party, Davina's ears were filled with the joyful sounds of conversation and music. A true contrast to any kind of party you would find at the Illyrian camps, they were usually full of fighting and a different kind of music. Davina surveyed her surroundings, it was beautiful, the lights, the people, the decorations.

"It's amazing", Davina said.

Azriel chuckled and said, "I told you it would be worth it".

"Technically Cassian convinced me".

Azriel feigned hurt, "here I thought I'd dragged you out of your apartment and prevented you from drowning yourself in wine and pizza, but no, it was my distracting counterpart".

Davina smiled, "drowning in wine and pizza sounds like a good time to me".

"You would say that", Azriel joked.

"Drop the sass, Az, I'm basically the same level of warrior as you".

Azriel barked a laugh, "until you can beat me in a fight I'd say I'm the better warrior".

"Ever since I called you handsome that one time, your arrogance seems to be growing", Davina smirked.

"Confidence, darling".