Chapter Thirty

Davina arrived at Windhaven, Cassian and Azriel by her side, her golden siphons out for display. Today would be the day they gathered the willing females, helping them pack the necessities and transporting them to the secluded new camp. Davina was nervous, she was terrified nobody would want to leave and that her whole plan would be a failure. If Windhaven, the most progressive camp in Illyria, couldn't support their females than what was the chance of other camps doing it.

"Relax, I can feel your magic from here", Cassian whispered.

Davina didn't realise she'd been projecting her nerves into her magic, she quickly reeled it in. She had still been unsuccessful in finding out where her power had come from, even when she'd relocated to Rhysand's personal libraries. She was beginning to give up, besides she had more important things to focus on.

Davina approached the training ring, Cassian and Azriel trailing at an arms length. Davina and Azriel had been trying to take things slow for the past week. He'd been helping her with her research, supplying snacks and enforcing breaks, he'd walked her home a few days, but that was it. She didn't mind their slow start, except for the fact conversation always felt forced and didn't flow like it used to.

"Cauldron sakes!", Cassian hissed, "look at them".

They had arrived at the training ring where they planned to meet the females. Their usual trainees stood there, but they were shaking and Davina didn't think it was from the cold.

"They're terrified", Azriel stated, his shadows whispering secrets into his ears, "the males have scared them".

Cassian swore and together they marched over to the group. All of the females were wide-eyed and shaking, although, Davina presumed they must still be willing if they showed.

"Good morning, ladies", Davina said pretending not to see or scent their obvious fear.

"Has everyone packed?" Cassian said following Davina's lead.

The females looked between each other, a silent conversation passing between them.

"Will we be back in time to do our chores?" One long-limbed female asked.

Davina attempted not to gape. Had the males convinced them that chores were more important? Had they truely scared them away this much?

"I was hoping you'd be gone for a month or two", Davina said unsure how they'd react.

"Oh", said the same female, "I can't come then".

The long-limbed girl grabbed the bag she'd sat on the floor and turned on her heel. More females followed after in mutters of apology.

"No don't leave!" Davina said desperately, "someone else can do their chores!"

Azriel put a comforting hand on her shoulder, which also prevented her from chasing after them. Davina's heart sank, she hadn't expected a big turnout but even a few would've made her happy.

"We tried", Cassian said shrugging but even Davina could see the sadness in his eyes.

Azriel's lips thinned before he nudged Davina in the direction of where the females once stood. Davina followed his gaze and found two young girls holding their luggage with bright smiles.

"We are still excited to go!" Said the black haired one.

"I'm only going if there's better food at this new camp", said the freckle-faced one.

Davina stumbled over her words as she said, "yes! Of course! I will find you the best food!"

Cassian smiled brightly and offered to hold their luggage. Davina pretended not to notice Azriel's proud smile.

"And what are your names?" Davina said kindly as they walked towards the outer edge of the camp.

"I'm Lola and this is Alex", said the black haired one.

"It's a pleasure to meet you both", Davina said genuinely, "I'm happy to announce that you're our first official camp members".

Lola smiled brightly at this, "it's an honour! Does that mean we get first pick of the swords?"

Davina smiled, "when you graduate from practice swords then yes, you can choose your favourite".

—————

Azriel had winnowed them to the new camp, they hadn't named it yet, Davina was unsure whether she even should if it was only to remain temporary. Feyre and Nesta were waiting for them, Davina pretended not to notice Feyre's frown as only two women showed up.

The camp was minimal at best. Only a few huts had been set up, along with a local tavern and a training ring. Building was still in progress but they'd unanimously decided that they should start housing the females now.

Lola and Alex looked around with childlike wonder.

"There is truely no males here?" Alex asked curiously.

"That's what we advertised", Davina shrugged.

Feyre and Nesta came breezing over, Cassian immediately scooting to Nesta's side. Davina could feel Azriel's jealousy down the bond, it was obvious he wished they were happily mated.

Lola and Alex immediately rushed to bow for their High Lady but Feyre reassured them that it was unnecessary. She continued to give a short speech on how happy she was that they were willing to leave their camp.

"To be honest", Alex said in reply to the High Lady's speech, "my father wouldn't even notice that I was gone".

Lola nodded her agreement, "it's just me and my mother, and although she'll throw a fit when she realises where I've gone, she won't care enough to chase after me".

Davina should be heartbroken like Feyre seemed to be over their stories, but the truth is that's exactly what Illyria is like, coddling and cooing your sympathies won't make anything better.

"Gwyn will show you to your huts", Nesta said breaking the awkward silence that had dawned the group.

Gwyn seemed to appear out of nowhere, her bright red haired contrasted the dull hue of Illyria. She heaved their bags over a shoulder and instructed them to follow her. The Valkyries had been helping out a great deal with building the camp, Nesta had even said she'd be willing to spend a few days a week training the Illyrian females.

"This camp ought to have a name", Cassian said crossing his arms.

Davina shrugged, "any brilliant suggestions from your small mind?"

Azriel stifled a laugh at her comment, Cassian feigned hurt.

"I actually had a good suggestion", he said glaring playfully.

"I'm all ears", Davina smirked.

"Wren-Hill".

Davina paused. Her heart clenched, she hadn't even thought to name the camp after Wren. It was the perfect name, the camp was on a tall hill and Wren was who she started out doing this for. If she hadn't of been so desperate to get a better life for her and Wren she would've never found these people. She would never of met Nesta and Cassian. She wouldn't of even known she had a mate.

"Sorry, I just thought you might like to-" Cassian fumbled on the right words to say.

Davina didn't even realise a tear had slid down her cheek.

"-it's the perfect name", she reassured him.

Azriel had wrapped an arm around her, his wing slightly curling around her in a protective way, his shadows crawled up her arms.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you sad", Cassian winced an apology.

Davina waved a hand, "I'm not sad, they're happy tears".

Davina felt Azriel's soothing caress down the bond.

"I'm so grateful for you all. Wren would be proud to see how far I've come", Davina said smiling.

"She would be", Azriel said softly before gently kissing her temple.

Davina resisted the urge to snuggle into him, he was so warm and Illyria was terribly cold. However, she had work to do, two trainees would not do.