Chapter Thirty-Seven

"A witch?" Rhysand said in disbelief.

"I know", Davina sighed, "it sounds ridiculous but throughout all my research this is the only outcome that makes sense".

Rhysand rubbed his jaw in thought, leaning back in his office chair. It was early morning the next day and Davina had come to Rhysand to rant about her findings. His hair was messy as if he'd only woken up a few minutes prior and Nyx was crawling around on the floor beside them.

"Well what now?" Rhys said.

Davina shrugged. What was she meant to do with the information Elizabeth had given her? All she had learnt was that her mother was neglectful and Wren was meant to die.

"It's stupid, sorry I came bursting in to rant".

Rhysand smiled, "it's not stupid, are you sure you're okay with finding out about all this?"

"I'm not okay with knowing that Wren meant so little to them when she was my world, but unfortunately I can't go back in time".

Rhysand's lips thinned into a line, "people aren't around forever, Davina, it will always hurt but you can't go on remembering the bad stuff".

Davina sensed someone else had told Rhys those words but she nodded anyways. She stood from her chair, she didn't want to take up more of Rhys' time, especially when there were piles on paper on his desk.

"Before you go, Davina", Rhysand said.

Davina paused at the door, sensing a smile in Rhysand's voice. She pivoted and was proven correct when she noticed his smirk.

"Azriel came rushing in here yesterday demanding that you both get a few weeks off. Any idea what that was about?" He said smirking arrogantly.

Davina resisted the urge to smile back, "goodbye Rhysand".

Davina turned back towards the door, fully intent on leaving before Rhys could get another word in.

"I'm happy for you, Davina. Both of you".

Davina paused for a second, but realising she didn't know how to reply to his sentimental words she just nodded and left.

                                  ——————

Azriel avoided the swing of Cassian's sword by dodging left. They were at Wren-Hill training in the hastily built training ring. Azriel was waiting for Davina, when she arrived they would leave together and go back to her apartment. Azriel was...nervous. What if she didn't show up? What if she took one look at his naked body and decided to reject the bond? He hated his own self-sabotaging thoughts, he had to remain a little bit hopeful.

Cassian's sword clashed against his, Azriel only just managing to block it.

"You're distracted", Cassian grumbled.

Cassian hated it when Azriel wasn't putting all his potential into a fight. You'll get lazy, he had said, but Azriel was always reluctant to hurt his brothers.

"I am not", Azriel gritted out before swinging back with more force than before.

Truth is, Azriel hadn't told Cassian about his plans with Davina. Rhysand could guess, but he didn't want to say the words aloud, just in case she changed her mind.

He hated that he was so god damn nervous. He was the shadowsinger, the spymaster, one of the most powerful Illyrian soldiers, and yet he had butterflies in his stomach at the prospect of being near a naked Davina. He had tortured and killed more people than he could count, yet it was the mating bond he feared most, or rather how it might go wrong.

Cassian's blade cut Azriel's upper arm, he let out a hiss at the sudden sting.

"What are you doing?!" Cassian growled, "I could've killed you!"

Azriel sighed as he looked at his torn leathers and the blood dripping from the cut. Great, just great. Cassian dropped his sword and came over to Azriel, inspecting the cut closely while muttering about sloppiness.

"Leave it alone, Cass", Azriel said swatting his hand away.

Cassian glared at Azriel, "what is going through your head, brother?"

"It's nothing", he grumbled before throwing down his own sword and turning to retreat from the ring.

"I've never managed to cut you since we were kids", Cassian stated as he followed Azriel.

Azriel saw Davina up ahead, talking to Mor and Nesta, probably organising what would occur in her absence. Cassian was still bugging him, asking questions and probing for answers.

"Just tell me what's wrong!" Cassian hissed.

Azriel turned around, having enough of his crap, his shadows whispered in his ear was enough, he didn't need Cassian's constant blabbering.

"I'm about to go and solidify the mating bond with Davina. If you have any questions talk to me in a week or two", Azriel pretended he didn't see the shock on Cassian's face as he continued towards Davina.

"Wait really?" Was all he heard Cassian say as he approached Davina.

Azriel quickly wrapped an arm around Davina, wanting to leave before Cassian could wind him up.

"In a rush, are we?" Davina smirked looking up at him.

Azriel gave a quick peck to her lips before turning to Nesta and Mor.

"See you in a bit", he said before winnowing them away.