Chapter Twenty-Seven

Devlon surveyed the room calmly, despite the fact everyone was staring at him. It was Rhys that approached him, Feyre by his side, they shook hands and Rhys welcomed him to Velaris. Azriel itched to step in front of Davina. He hated these males, hated Illyrian males. But, he had a feeling Davina would find it insulting if he stepped in front of her. So he settled for crossing his arms and allowing a small tendril of shadow to brush her arm.

She looked absolutely breathtaking in that dress. Azriel had almost forgotten how stunning she was, how she radiated power and determination. He would bow to her, he would get on his hands and knees and grovel for her forgiveness if he had to. Because in those last few weeks, Azriel realised he could not live without Davina. His days did not feel the same when he knew he couldn't visit her. Surprisingly, Elain hadn't crossed his mind once. Instead he was plagued by Davina and nothing but Davina.

And now he was standing beside her, and yet she had never felt so far away.

"It's a pleasure as always", Devlon said with a tone that suggested the opposite.

Rhys delighted in Devlon's hatred. He seemed to bathe in it and grin from ear-to-ear. Azriel supposed he enjoyed it too, because now Devlon had to respect them, they were no longer little Illyrian boys whom he could boss around. They ran the court, and Devlon had every reason to hate them.

"Please, take a seat", Rhys said maintaining his cat-like grin.

Rhys and Feyre led the way towards the table that they used to sit at everyday. It still looked the same the last time Azriel was here, obviously it had been cleaned and decorated, but at its core it was the same. Azriel hated that Devlon sat in his chair. Azriel forced himself to step forward and sit beside Davina. She had glanced at him from the corner of her eye, she had been watching him all night, he could tell. His shadows told him she'd been watching, only Azriel didn't know what she was looking for.

Was she looking at him in hatred? Did she think he would be with Elain?

To be honest, Azriel hadn't seen Elain since Rhysand forbade it. In his initial anger he had planned to disobey every single one of Rhysand's rules, no matter the consequence. But, when he had calmed down, he found all of those feelings had vanished, instead he wanted to be rid of everything that reminded him of Elain. Guilt had almost swallowed him whole when he gave Gwyn that necklace. He didn't know what to do with it, so he gave it to the only woman he knew would perhaps enjoy it. Because he sure as hell wasn't going to give it to Davina, not when he already had her a gift, and Elain was out of the question.

"Why did you summon me, Rhysand?" Devlon glared across the table, cutting to the chase.

"I wouldn't say I summoned you", Rhys said leaning back in his chair, "I merely invited you for some drinks and delicious food".

"I don't want your food, or your hospitality", Devlon spat.

Azriel had no idea how Rhys managed to stay calm when he met with such disgusting people. Although, Rhys did allow some of his power to slip through at Devlon's crassness.

Rhysand folded his arms, eyes flicking to Davina, perhaps scouting her for any waining confidence. But, Davina sat tall, her face a picture of boredom at Devlon's words. Azriel wondered when she had fashioned such a mask.

"As you know", Rhys began, an underlying warning in his tone, "your attempts at helping the females train have been lacking".

Devlon scoffed, "your lap-dogs were at the camp a mere few days ago".

"Yes", Rhys purred, "and it seems that they agree with me".

Rhysand turned towards Davina, she straightened in her chair.

"It's true", she said, Azriel was surprised at the ruthlessness in her gaze when she looked at Devlon, "your attempts are pitiful at best".

Devlon seemed irked by her words, "you think you can do better, girl?"

Azriel itched to make him choke on his words.

"Yes I do", Davina said, completely unfazed by the anger brewing in Devlon.

"That is actually the whole reason you're here", Rhysand said stretching an arm over Feyre's chair.

Azriel watched the cogs turn in Devlon's head. The anger dissolved, realisation dawned, and laughter broke the air.

"You can't be serious", he laughed.

Only Azriel saw Davina flinch at his laughter.

"I'm very serious", Rhysand said gaze turning icy, "if you are so terrible at your job then we will create a new camp".

"A camp solely for females", Davina added.

Devlon was still laughing as if this was the best joke he had heard in all of his long, boring life. His two Illyrian guards seemed to attempt at hiding their amused smirks.

"It will never work", Devlon said between tears of laughter, "they won't want to leave".

"We won't be forcing them", Davina said steadily, Azriel could tell that Devlon's blatant disrespect was getting to her, "it will be their choice".

Azriel clenched and unclenched his hand under the table as Devlon said.

"They are too well trained to disobey us now".

Azriel watched Davina bristle at the words.

"Nevertheless", she said, venom coating her words, "if they wish to leave your repulsive camp, you will not stop them. If I catch word you're holding females against their will, I'll deal with you myself".

Devlon growled, knuckles turning white as he gripped the table.

"And who are you to threaten me, girl?"

Davina sat up straighter, shoulders tense. Azriel saw the thoughts racing through her head, the doubt that clouded her eyes.

"She's the most deadly warrior you'll ever meet", Azriel said, his shadows stormed around him.

"Trained by the best warriors in all of Prythian", Cassian added, subtly sending a playful wink Davina's way.

Davina visibly relaxed at Cassian's casual behaviour, he was like the sun breaking through a fog.

Devlon huffed, still slightly amused by the whole encounter.

"It will only be a trial", Rhysand said from his chair, "if it doesn't work then the females may return, if it does then it will remain permanent in Illyria".

Devlon's eyes flicked between the people in the room, perhaps wagering the odds of a fight, or maybe looking for one last person to insult.

"Fine", he said teeth clenched.

He held out his hand and Rhys shook it politely. Then, as if he had a thousand better things to do, Devlon stood, the wooden chair scraping the floor, and stomped out of the house, his guards followed behind.

The tension in the room immediately dissolved and Cassian had disappeared and reappeared with a bottle of wine. Cassian uncorked the bottle and poured everyone a glass, Rhysand downed his in a instant, Davina following suit.

"It could've been worse", Feyre said, sipping politely from her own wine.

Azriel refused the wine and instead sat, drumming his fingers along the table. Davina had grimaced at Feyre's words, seeming to disagree. Azriel wished she'd tell him what she was thinking. Perhaps she would've if he hadn't almost kissed Elain. He could've been there for all of it, when she was mourning Wren, when she went to the camps for the first time, when she had come up with the idea of an all female camp in the first place. But he hadn't been there, and that was his fault.