Chapter Thirty-Eight

Davina rotated the tray of cookies in the oven, they were halfway done and it seemed that as each minute passed the tension grew thicker in the room. Azriel was leaning up against her kitchen counter, watching her every move with utter stillness, except for his shadows which occasionally caressed her legs and arms.

She had wanted to cook for him before anything started. It was her attempt at being traditional but it also gave Azriel time if he wanted to call it off. Of course if he did, Davina would be heartbroken but she couldn't force him to love her.

"They're almost done", Davina said as she closed the oven door, "now should we handle that cut?"

Azriel's eyes flashed to the torn leather on his shoulder. Davina had noticed it when they first walked in, assuming it had come from fighting with Cassian.

"You don't have t-"

Davina cut him off, "take your shirt off, I'll get the first aid kit".

Turning on her heel, Davina walked down her hallway to the bathroom where she kept her first aid kit. From a distance she could hear Azriel taking his shirt off. Strangely, Davina was...nervous? Why should she be? It was a silly thought and she did her best to tame the butterflies in her stomach.

Returning to the kitchen with the first aid kit, Davina found Azriel standing awkwardly by the counter, his leather armour situated on a chair beside him. Davina refused to blush and instead perched herself on the counter so she was closer to his height.

"I can't help you if you're standing so far away from me", Davina stated, gesturing for Azriel to stand between her legs.

Azriel shuffled over and did as instructed, wincing only slightly as Davina washed his wound.

"You don't have to", he said, "it's not that bad".

Davina merely raised an eyebrow, "I want to".

Azriel stiffened slightly as Davina inspected the cut, making sure it was not infected and that it wasn't bleeding too bad. Once she was thoroughly certain he would be okay, she began to bandage it up.

Davina found it strange that the overexcited and usually horny Azriel had disappeared. She was expecting him to have her pinned against a wall by now or at least begging her to throw away the idea of cookies. Instead he was stiff and awkward.

"What's wrong?" Davina asked genuinely.

Davina had finished bandaging the wound but Azriel stayed between her legs.

"Nothing is wrong".

"You are acting all tense and awkward as if we hadn't kissed multiple times, if you want to bail I won't judge you", Davina found herself saying.

Azriel gulped, his shadows seemed to almost swallow him up before they ventured along her own arms and into her hair.

"I feel like I should warn you", he said quietly, so quietly Davina almost didn't hear him.

"What?" Davina was confused, what did he have to warn her about?

"I have some nasty scars", he said slowly, "sometimes people can be disgusted by them, and if you are, then it's okay if you want me to hide them or want me to stop all together".

Davina was momentarily stunned, "are you talking about your hands?"

He didn't answer for a moment.

"Yes, but I have others too".

Davina sighed before reaching down and taking his hands in hers, the siphons from his armour still lay in their holds. Gently Davina took them off as she spoke to him.

"I will not be deterred by your scars, as I trust you will not be deterred by mine".

Azriel watched intently as Davina took each palm to her lips and kissed them gently. The motion was so loving and tentative that Azriel resisted the urge to cry. Nobody had ever looked at him like that.

"My brothers burnt my hands", Azriel said suddenly.

Momentary surprise flashed along Davina's features but she continued to kiss his hands as he spoke.

"They were my step-brothers, not my real ones. They thought it would be funny to test my fast healing. I couldn't escape, and nothing would put out the fire. I have some small burn marks on my thighs from when I tried to rub the oil off my hands".

A small fire of anger stoked Davina's heart but she didn't want to interrupt him as he spoke.

"It took the healers a lot of work just to get them to where they are now. They are permanent, no amount of time in my immortal life will make them disappear. Can you live with that?"

Davina tilted her head to the side, allowing Azriel to take his hands back.

"Live with it?" She said, "Azriel I love every part of you, from your tattoos, to your wings, to your scars, I wholeheartedly accept you as you are".

Azriel gulped but he continued, "sometimes if I'm having a particularly bad day, I'll scrub them until their red, raw and bleeding, if that scares you then tell me now".

Davina shook her head, "Azriel you're my mate, you don't scare me. I'll be there for you on those days".

The oven timer chimed. The cookies were ready.

Both of them paused at the sound. A thousand thoughts rushed through Davina's head, were they making a mistake? Was this too soon? She shook away the thoughts, she loved Azriel, she had known it for some time, only one question remained.

"If you wish to leave, now is the time".

Azriel shook his head, "I was about to ask you the same thing".

Davina laughed before sliding off the kitchen bench and moving towards the oven.

"I am your mate, Az, your equal, and I love you for who you are. I'm not going anywhere".

Azriel smiled softly. A weight was lifted off his shoulders and replaced with a heavy lust at the prospect of what lies ahead.

"Good", he said, "now let me take a bite out of one of those cookies so I can have you against a wall".

Davina smirked over her shoulder, "on one condition".

Azriel raised a brow, prompting Davina to continue.

"That it's not just one wall. I want to have you on every surface of this house".

"With pleasure", Azriel grinned wickedly.

A/N: Don't worry it's not a fade to black, chill out besties.