Chapter Sixteen

The next day Davina was waiting in her kitchen for Azriel. Not to tell him of the bond, but because today was the day they'd be going back to her camp, Davina was going to rescue Wren. And kill her father, though she hadn't told Azriel that part yet.

When Davina first told Azriel and Cassian that it was time to rescue Wren they had been reluctant. But, with a little bit of persuasion they had come around.

However, Azriel was late. Davina spent the extra minutes pacing throughout the house and triple-checking her knives. They were for protection, she had told Azriel, they weren't. Davina could picture it now, the blade of her knife piercing through the cold, dead heart of her father. Perhaps she would shred him of his wings like he had done to her. She wondered if Azriel would frown upon her bloodlust.

"Sorry I'm late", Azriel said bursting through the front door.

"That's okay, should we get going now?" Davina said trying not to sound too eager.

"I'm sorry, Davina but we can't go", he said wincing.

"What? Why?!"

"Nesta went missing from Windhaven, we need to find her and her friends before it's too late", Azriel said, panic evident in his voice.

Although Davina was worried for her only friend, she couldn't help but think she could rescue Wren on her own. Besides, Nesta was incredibly powerful, even if she didn't know it yet.

"So you can't go", Davina treaded carefully.

"No", Azriel growled immediately, "I know what you are thinking and you are not going alone".

"Why not?" She said.

She knew it would anger him, but she had this gut feeling Wren was not okay, that she had to go today.

"It's dangerous".

"I can handle myself".

"I know you can, I didn't say you couldn't".

"Then I don't see why I can't".

Azriel sighed running a hand through his hair, obviously fed up with her stubbornness.

"I know you Davina, you'll do something stupid".

Davina scoffed, "I just want Wren back".

Azriel barked a laugh, "Davina don't lie".

There was a tense pause. Surely he did not know, Davina hadn't told anyone. Maybe it was obvious, Davina's father had stripped her of the only thing that made her Illyrian, he had put her through so much pain. Was it really that wrong to want him dead?

"I'll be fine".

"I'd much rather be there with you", he said tensely.

"I promise I won't do anything that I'd deem stupid", Davina said smiling innocently.

Azriel scoffed, "clever wording but it's not happening".

Davina suppressed a growl. Who was he to stop her? She had been planning this for months, Wren could not stay with her father.

"Davina", Azriel said sternly, "you do not know the pain you will cause yourself if you murder him".

Davina hissed, "you speak from experience".

Azriel tensed. Davina had figured it out long ago, someone had done that to Azriel's hands and she doubted he let them stay alive.

"Did it satisfy you to kill them?" Davina prodded.

Azriel shook his head, "Davina don't".

"It did, didn't it? Why can't I have that satisfaction?"

"You want to kill your father!?" Azriel snapped, "Fine. Do it. Stab a knife through his heart! Tear his wings off! You'll be just as bad as him!".