/ 24 /

Cascading Failures

We are all getting into the back of the van when Jimmy pulls up.

"What the hell is going on?" He asks.

"Department of Family Services is taking us." Debbie tells him.

"Can they do that?" Jimmy questions.

"It won't last long, Debs. I promise." Fiona says. "How long was it last time, a week?"

"Nine days." Debbie says as I get into the very back, beside Ian and Lip.

"Twenty bucks says we're back in five." I bet.

"Can I get their placement addresses now?" Fiona asks the social worker.

"Not until intake interviews are complete." She tells Fiona.

"Who reported us?" Fiona asks but she's ignored.

The door is slammed shut and the driver starts the engine as the woman gets in.

Fiona waves goodbye to us as we drive off.

The woman turns around to look at us and smiles. "Are you guys okay?"

"Oh, yeah. Ain't our first time at the rodeo." Lip answers. "Because Liam is still cute and little, he'll go to some loving family with people who really want a family, but waited so long that their egg batter rotted, so they can't have their own."

"And Debbie and Carl will be placed together because-" Ian continues.

"Because the state always tries to keep siblings together." Debbie finishes his sentence.

"And the rest of us can handle whatever foster nut-jobs we end up with." I add.

"Remember that last guy with the fucking bathroom peephole?" Lip laughs.

"This time is going to be a little different." The woman says. "I've placed Liam and Carl together, but Debbie unfortunately has to be placed separately."

"All by myself?" Debbie questions as Lip squeezes her shoulder.

"And Phillip and Ian, you're too old to be placed, so you're going to an all-boys group home." The woman tells them." And Morgan, you are joining them."

"She's a girl." Ian laughs.

"They don't mind making an exception, just so we can keep you and your twin brother, Ian, together." The woman looks at me.

Great. Being the only girl in a home of teenage boys sounds amazing.

---

The van stops outside the group home and the van door is opened.

"Really puts the 'home' in group home." Ian sarcastically says as we stare at the blank-like building.

I quickly kiss Liam's cheek and hug Carl before getting out.

"It's only going to be a couple of days, okay?" I tell Debbie, who looks worried.