/ 55 /

Home Sweet Homeless
Shelter

I'm woken up in the middle of the night due to loud noises coming from the kitchen.

I gently remove Mandy's arm from around my waist and get up.

"Hey, what are you doing up?" I ask as I walk downstairs.

Ian is stood in the kitchen, baking.

"Caleb won't stop drunk-texting me. Begging, name calling, then begging some more." He answers.

Fiona then walks into the house, "Jesus, you guys are up late."

"Nice sex-hair." I smile.

"Ah, Tinder rocks. Free sex, any time I want." She chuckles.

"Yeah, but you're a female. Isn't that always available to you?" Ian questions.

"Maybe. But Tinder makes it simple. No confusion. No misguided weddings. Now I just bone and go so I can my energy for more important things."

"Like what?" I ask.

"Like my job." She answers.

"Pasty's Pies? Sure you want to be directing all your freed up energy there?" I reply.

"Nobody ever questions Lip and he spends all day working for free." She laughs.

"But his bullshit internship is going to turn into a non-bullshit career." I pull a beer out of the fridge and then look back at Fiona, "What? It was no offence."

"Wow. Some taken." She picks up her coffee and then walks upstairs.

"Kind of harsh." Ian says.

"Only because it's the truth." I respond.

---

Fiona still hasn't shown up for her shift, leaving me in charge.

Mandy sets a plate down in front of me, "Guy at table eight sent back his burger and left without paying. Said it tastes like ketchup-flavoured cardboard."

I take a bite of the burger and almost gag.

I take the plate and walk into the kitchen, "Johnny, come on. You burn anymore of these burgers, I'm gonna deep fry you."

"If I was given better meat, I wouldn't have to char it. The shit Fiona bought tastes like freezer burn."

"Well, she had to cut costs. Otherwise, we all lose our jobs." I tell him.

"You get what you pay for." He says.

"Yeah, well, can't you get creative? Some new spices or something?" I ask.

"You think you can do my job better than me?You're welcome to it." He responds.

"You pick up that attitude in prison?" I question, before pulling out my phone which was ringing.

"Hello?" I answer.

"Liam punched him where?"

"Okay, did he say that he was sorry?"