/ 59 /

Ouroboros

After finishing a night shift, I'm about to leave work. But before I do, I discreetly pour the diner's secret vodka into my coffee.

Mandy then walks past me as I take a sip.

"Oh, hey. How are you?" I ask.

"Fine." She shortly answers. Clearly, she's still pissed at me.

Frank then walks in, "Hey, are you finished work?"

"Go away, Frank." I walk past him and out the door.

He follows after me and starts walking with me, "Monica's back."

I almost choke on my coffee, "Mom's back?"

"Don't get me wrong. She's a hot piece of ass, your mother. But within that fine mortal husk lies a rotting pile of filth, and I don't want her soiling you kids. So, from now on, you guys fight."

"You want me to fight Mom?" I question.

"Yes, my child. Fight her with every muscle in your body, or she will drag you into her pit of despair and murder your soul."

"Frank, I know what Mom's like." I reply.

"So, when you see her, do not speak to her, okay?" He says.

"I don't want to speak to her anyways." I responds.

"Thanks. Good talk, kid." He pats my shoulder.

---

I'm trying to catch up on missed sleep when my phone starts to ring.

Youens heard about the incident that happened at Patsy's a few nights ago, and now won't stop calling.

As I decline the call and set my phone back down, there's a knocking on the bedroom door.

"Yeah, come in!" I call out.

Kevin, who has been crashing on our couch, peeps his head through the door, "Did I wake you?"

"No. No, I can't sleep." I tell him.

He then steps into the room, "Do you know if there's a spare razor I could borrow? I left mine at home."

I nod, "Yeah."

"And a clean pair of socks, some deodorant, and some tweezers." He adds.

I sigh and get up, "Yeah, sure."

He follows me around the bedroom and then into the bathroom as I give him everything he needs.

"So, Monica's back." He says.

"Wait, did you see her?" I question.

"Yeah, she got Franny back for Debbie." He replies.

"I kinda thought Frank was high and was making the whole thing up." I respond.

"She said she plans to stick around forever now." He tells me.

I dryly laugh, "Mom says that all the time. She never means it though."